Skip to main content

😊11/28 Update 8:30 am

Before Ethan’s cardiologist left last night, he was standing at the foot of the bed. His eyes were intensely focused on Ethan’s machines.  He would occasionally glance at Ethan’s face and chest and then back to the monitor. He was silent and it was evident he was deep in thought. What’s wrong I wondered. He then locked eyes with me and said “This is what he should have been doing a week ago. He is doing great.” Deep exhale.

Ethan had quite an evening. As you can imagine, Ethan style, he was busting through the paralytic medication, answering yes or no questions, he was moving his hands and feet, not too much but he was squeezing my hand. Maybe I don’t want to ground him when this is over. He is so determined.

His nurse had to put in a stomach suction tube which helps to keep the acid level down within his stomach. This is fed through the nostril and sits in his stomach. She also placed a feeding tube that went into the small intestine. These things had been removed before his surgery. 

Whenever she does a procedure, she has a “witness” help her. This is hospital policy. 

I like his nurse. Both nurses were so focused on putting in the tube that once they started feeding it in more quickly, I said in a very serious tone.......hang on, before I share what I said, let me describe what Ethan was wearing. His man parts were fully covered from his belly button to his knees with a sheet folded several times. 

As the nurses quickly inserted the tube, I looked down towards his rear area pretending I was concerned. I then said, “Is it supposed to be coming out of his rear?” Both nurses stopped and looked at each other for a moment. Perplexed. “Just kidding” I said.  Then they both busted up and were belly laughing. I apologized and told them that I just needed to share a laugh. They thought it was funny.

Ethan’s bladder was distended. He earned himself a another urinary catheter (the previous one was removed). After it was put in we were taking bets as to how much urine he had.  None of us were even close. He had 925 ml of urine.  Almost a freaking liter. Next time you go buy a Coke at the gas station to quench your thirst, remember, that is almost how much urine Ethan had in his bladder. Ha! I think I have been here too long.

Ethan’s fever went up to 102.6. They are thinking it is due to his surgery. They have ice bags on him trying to bring it down and sent off a blood culture. He is worried. He knows something is up. When he sedation wears off, he raises his blood pressure.

This morning Ethan isn’t oxygenating his blood as well as he was yesterday. His nurse did a deep suction and got out another wad of mucus. Since she did this, he has brought his oxygen levels up into the low 90’s, but then they will drop down into the 70’s and 80’s, normal is 95-100. There are orders for respiratory therapy to come up and see if they can do a wash on his lungs as well as some other things to help him.

Ethan’s abdomen became extended over night. He has already had his chest and abdomen x-Ray and they are being reviewed by a radiologist now. 

He is however, resting comfortably. He is still being rotated and wearing his boots and wrist supports to help him when he is conscious for whatever therapy may be required to get him back to himself after the stroke.

I have the shade open in his room.  The sunshine is shining in and smiling at him. I hope he feels it. Hoping for a day of progress.

Happy Birthday Mom! 🌹🎈


Comments

  1. Happy Birthday Charlene!🍾🍰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you Patti. Best present is that Ethan is progressing. Don't want anything else. Love you both

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, Happy Birthday Charlene!!! I realize more than ever, that aging and getting older is truly a gift to cherish and celebrate. Big cheers for "doing great". You got this Ethan!!! Patti- thanks for ruining a bottle of Coke for me. I'll never see it the same. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amazed at what the human body can take. Love your humor. Patti. Praying for a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the great work everyone. It is great to see the progress. Hang in there Patti you are amazing Happy Birthday Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. I busted out laughing with the tube joke, only you! Laughter is the best medicine.
    Praying Ethan has a peaceful day, as well as you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ethan is a determined, amazing,
    incredible young man.
    He proves everyday he is going to do it his way.
    His Theme Song has to be..,.
    Frank Sinatra’s famous tune
    “ I Did It My Way”

    (and Ethan is also saying.....
    “ and don’t you guys
    forget it”)
    it”)


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment