Skip to main content

Update 11/25 8:00 am

 

This is his brain machine.  Things are working in there.


Ethan had a quiet night. They hooked him up to brain machine to be sure it still works. I know it does. Ethan was calm all night. He had a male nurse who was absolutely wonderful.  All the nurses here are excellent!  When Ethan did wake up, he was trying to communicate. It is impossible to read lips with a breathing tube in. 

I untied his hand so he could write after multiple failed attempts of trying to guess what he was saying. He wrote very clearly “who is that man?” I told him it was his nurse. His nurse and I both chuckled because this has been his nurse for almost 12 hours. Then Ethan wrote “thank you”.  

He also was able to write “did I have the transplant?” Which means the sedation they are using will offer him some amnesia and he won’t remember yesterday’s events. Phew.

He is getting uncomfortable since he has laid flat for so long. They have been moving him around to try and avoid bed sores. The first place the pillow was put was under his butt after some communicating, we moved it to under his back and he said that was comfortable.

I finally was able to get some sleep in longer stretches than an hour. I really very strongly dislike sleeping with a mask on. I am sick of my mask. I am also pissed at myself for eating a salad with onions on it last night.  I have brushed my teeth multiple times and used mouth wash and flossed and the onion has sunk in its mighty grip into every fiber of my mouth.  Live and learn.

They came in this morning to take his daily x-Ray. Rounds will be in a couple hours. I will find out the results of the echo then. That will determine if his right atrium is getting stronger. He has had a couple doses of rejection medication and has tolerated it very well.

Ethan is still getting blood product throughout the day which is normal when on ECMO. They were able to discontinue the insulin, which is good. He is trying to use his left side more so that is good. He also is moving both eyes in sync which is improvement. He seems to wake up a little more frequently.  

Again, I appreciate all the words of encouragement and people reaching out. We are so thankful for each and every one of you. Please know that this thanksgiving will be my most thankful one. I don’t feel like I am away from family and friends.  I appreciate all of you.


Comments

  1. This is great news! Way to go Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing what a little rest will do for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great news keep up the work Ethan you are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful news. Amazes me what medicine can do. I love reading of Ethan’s spirit despite all of challenges he faces. We will be praying for you all at Thanksgiving and more. Also, no more onions when wearing a mask LOL! I have done that. It’s the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful news!!! He is an amazing child and you both are amazing parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the Day the Lord Has Made
    Let us Rejoice snd Be Glad๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ’—

    This was the greatest Blessing Ethan could receive as well as those who Love him so much♥️
    And YOU are his hero Patti in the Army of His Doctors and Nurses
    We are so proud of you ....
    We are Greatly Thankful
    And Blessed

    Happy Thanksgiving ๐Ÿฆƒ ๐Ÿ
    God Bless everyone who have been Ethan’s Cheer Leaders all along the way!!!



    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news on both accounts, Ethan improving and you sleeping a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful news. Prayers for continued improvements. Sorry about the onions. Can you ask them for some heartburn meds?
    Ethan, you are amazing. Your strength has no boundaries๐Ÿ’ช. Big but gentle hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patty, I so look forward to your updates. I am happy to hear things keep improving, slowly, but surely. I am constantly amazed that you are able to write coherent updates! Your strength astounds me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. So great to hear such good news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful news ! I am thinking of you every minute of every day ! Continued prayers and lots of love for Ethan and all of you ! ❤️๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Glad to hear this Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful update this morning! THank you for sharing and I am so happy to hear this good news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is quite a journey but I know in my heart it’s going to end up being a most significant one. Ethan is going to kick ass and we all know that! God Bless you all! This is one hell of a Thanksgiving to be remembered but mostly to be thankful! Patti you too are amazing! A mother always had to be strong for their child and boy have you showed that!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have so much to be thankful for! We will be thinking of you today! Love the Ballou Family

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment