Skip to main content

Update 11/26 9:00 pm

 This afternoon was quiet.  I enjoyed all my well wishes texts.  It gives me something to do in the down time. Ethan slept for 5 hours straight. I was afraid to move a muscle. I didn't want him to stir as he needed his rest. 

He woke up about 6:45.  His nurse gave him a dose of sleepy medicine.  He didn't go to sleep though.  He became his father, trying to talk with his hands so much they were becoming weapons.  He was confused.  He kept reaching down and grabbing the sheet.  I asked him what he was doing and he mouthed "getting my phone".  "Ethan" I said, "you don't have any pants on."  He needed to feel his skin to know he didn't have any pants on. He also was trying to tell me something that was something I needed to know in a hurry. He was writing letters with his fingers on the bed, for me to guess, so fast he was going to start a fire. I gave him the white board as that has given us the most success. He wrote this:


What the heck? I thought he meant he heard one of the staff members outside his room laughing and it sounded like Nelson from the Simpsons.  He was actually talking about a machine right near his bed, in his ear.  He hates repetitive noises. I told him I missed the staff members laugh.  And he feverishly wrote this:


A machine had made a noise that sounded like Nelson from the Simpsons and it was bothering his ears.  I had missed the machine making the noise because it is so noisy in his room. He had the whole floor of nurses trying to figure which staff member had a Simpson's laugh. Then they were all laughing. Ethan is proving his character, except he was pissed about it, not laughing.

Then after the 8th time of explaining to him he was able to go to the bathroom by just going because he had a catheter, he threw his hands up.  He couldn't wrap his brain around where the urine would go after he peed.  I had to take a picture of his urine bag and show him.  He then couldn't figure out what was done with the pee after it was in the bag.  All valid questions. He then got frustrated and wanted the board again.  He wrote this:


Now after the previous toilet debacle, I can totally relate.  Here I am complaining that I want to take the first shower. I wonder where he gets it from. Who doesn't want some privacy?

I then spoke to the nurse because he was getting more frustrated and delirious.  Lets give him a Versed (like valium) drip. Keep him from having these bursts of confusion. That seems to be the agreed upon approach. We can keep him sleeping until his big surgery tomorrow.

I know that Thanksgiving is a holiday that I particularly enjoy with the savory smells, festive drinks and spending time with the ones you love.  Everyone this year had an odd Thanksgiving.  Covid has sprinkled it's nastiness over our world like a thick and heavy spiderweb.  The hospital room is deafening with the alarms, hissing of the suction and oxygen and vibration of the machine helping to keep Ethan's heart healing.  It's drab and medical walls could wrap me in their arms and suck me into their drab world. The exact opposite has happened.  I am feeling so surrounded by positive vibes being pinged at me from every direction.  I make sure they get to Ethan as well. Thank you all.  Happy Thanks Giving.

Comments

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! We are so thankful that Ethan has gotten this chance to get a healthy new engine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of you guys are amazingly strong, keep kicking ass (as Ethan would say)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read these posts and think what an amazing, strong and beautiful son you have ! I now see where he gets that from. You are incredible ! I am praying every day for Ethan’s continued progress and healing, as well as strength for you, a mom who’s love is beyond measure! I am sending my guardian angels to add to the many I know Ethan already has watching over him !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a writer's gift for storytelling, Patti.... and I can just imagine how frustrating this is for Ethan. No one likes to feel helpless or trapped or just plain awful.... but we will storm the heavens for this wonderful young man! Thank you for keeping us posted! And our true Thanksgiving will be Ethan's full healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you. I hope you had a calm and restful night. I'm heading off to work but I will be thinking about you all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment