Skip to main content

πŸ’• Update 11/27/20 11:20 am

So this morning was another shit show. X-ray came and showed that Ethan had developed another collapsed lung as well as fluid in his lung on the right side. What the heck, he was doing so well. So they decided they were just going to move quick.  They started to wean him down on ECMO bedside instead of the OR. As they lowered ECMO, every bell and whistle went off.  His blood pressure went all wonky and his heart rate jumped to 170. So there were a couple of people calling off different orders to see if slight changes of this medication or that medication would support and stabilize him better.  Trial and error essentially. Let's add in a little dash of Ethan busting through the sedation AGAIN. This kid! True Ethan form. What a damn show off. The anesthesiologist said, "what is he on right now?" "Morphine, Dexdmedetomidine, Fentanyl and Midazolam." said the nurse.  "Wow!" said that anesthesiologist. "He should be knocked out."

Ultrasound was there to monitor the pump of his heart to see what that darn lazy right atrium is doing. There was talk of keeping him on ECMO and leaving his chest as is, a hole big enough to park a car in.  They also discussed maybe flushing his chest and trying to inflate his lung manually to see how he does after that. They will also do an exploratory to make sure everything else looks like it is working. He still has a visible clot in the left ventricle that is luckily not growing in size.

The plan today is, Ethan to have all this done and whatever the doctors collaboratively feel is the best way to support his heart, will be what they do.  It will be a surprise.  I gave him a pep talk before he went. "Ethan, this is Mom.  I love you.  Behave yourself." I hope it works. We play the waiting game.  I hope they are able to remove the breathing tube.

On a funny note.  My brother texted me last night and suggested I get a coffee mug or something with Ethan's white board message last night that said "I want a toilet." It would be a great conversation piece for years to come. Yes we would do that because we are that kind of family.  

They said they would bring him back to me later this afternoon.  I have a few things I need to get done today so that works.  I plan to go to the apartment for a little bit too. I am getting better at waiting. I know he is in the best hands.

Comments

  1. Great idea, Brian! For Christmas this year, it's "I Want a Toilet" mugs and soap on a rope for all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers continued as Ethan continues to fight through this journey. He truly wants to be behind the wheel, so to speak, and be able to see the work going on under his hood. He wouldn't want it any other way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethan loves a challenge and meets it head on...
    He can do this, he will do this
    With help of God leading these doctors and those who care for him in the Right direction
    We love you Ethsn so much
    Feel Everyone’s love ❤️
    and Prayers Ethan are
    You and God can and will do this
    God Bless my treasured GrandsonπŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
    Love you to the moon and back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I want a Toilet" mugs are definitely going to be a amazing piece of family history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! We will remember it every thanksgiving from here on out.

      Delete

Post a Comment