Skip to main content

12/29 2:15 pm

Rounds happened.  So Ethan’s x-Ray improved slightly. Due to the recent events or the increasing kidney values, the renal team came to rounds this morning. I saw 14 people at rounds and my heart sank a little.

The latest determination is that Ethan’s kidney(s) suffered another “injury”. They are thinking it happened the other morning when I thought we were going to have a repeat arrest. Ethan pulled out of it on his own but they think his kidneys were already suffering from the first time around and that sort of kicked him while he was down. 

What’s happening is that his kidneys think he is dehydrated because they aren’t working so well. Since they aren’t working so well the fluid is going to his heart and lungs and every other place in his body. His kidneys think they don’t have to work as hard because he is “dehydrated”. It becomes a vicious cycle.

The renal doctor explained that they were going to give him one more day to see what he does.  If he continues to decline, they are going to start him on dialysis. That wouldn’t be a permanent solution but a temporary “soft” dialysis.  It comes with a laundry list of side effects or “morbidities” as they call it. Not a scary word at all. 😳 

The plan was to minimally change things and expect a different income. I expressed my thoughts “this is literally the definition of insanity. Change nothing and expect a different outcome. If you are convinced he needs this, why not start now before he gets into a crisis situation?”

They then explained that they want to give it one more day, because the X-ray from this morning had improved. By some odd reason, if they can avoid dialysis, they will. That also said dialysis is not a temporary solution the will last a number of days, it is a temporary treatment that will last a number of weeks. “Awe, come on!” I took a deep breath. Time to really put on my big girl pants.  Not really the answer I was looking for but was glad for the reality check. “We are going to do what we need to do.”

So now we wait. Ethan’s body will make the decision. Whatever that may be we have to accept and roll with the punches.

Car guy PT buddy came today. He was very encouraged with the strength Ethan had maintained.  He also brought the car he ordered, from Japan. He wrote a card and put it in a gift bag. He is so nice. When he was working with Ethan he was showing me strengthening exercises to do with Ethan. He kept saying “Ethan, this is your clutch foot. Pretend you need to shift.”  “Ethan step on the break.” “Ethan find your gas pedal go, go, go......” poor Ethan was responding but under the influence of several sedatives so he couldn’t open his eye. I told car guy PT buddy that I would give it to Ethan when he is more “awake”. I will have to film Ethan’s reaction.

Ethan is so much work. He requires a lot of redirecting. My best gift today was when I came back from the bathroom and say “oh hey Ethan.” And he waved at me. I even saw his eyeballs making eye contact when he said it.

I had Paul on the portal. He was at the end of Ethan’s bed. Paul was talking to him and he waved at Paul. He then put his foot over the portal.  I guess Paul knows where he ranks. Ha ha. It was purely accidental.


I am going to try and take a nap while Ethan naps.


Comments

  1. Take a deep breath..,
    Relax from these
    rollercoaster rides...
    Regroup your thoughts and ...
    Put your body to rest!!

    Now doesn’t that sound like
    a good plan ???😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Joanne says....
    Nap well super momma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there.... And email me if there's anything you need. We can send things right out.
    Praying. Praying. Praying. I want something to click in his body and realize it can start with fresh pistons and a whole new engine. Lubed. And wired. God bless all four of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, what a day. I had to read through your posts twice to take it all in.
    Patti, you are doing a great job. There is nothing you can do to change this process. What you are doing and have done is amazing. How I wish you could get a couple of good nights sleep to help you rejuvenate. Remember a good cry is sometimes what a person needs, we are all here to support you❤️❤️.
    Tonight we pray on those kidneys or kidney.
    Please try to get some good sleep tonight. Hopefully tomorrow a whole new, different outlook.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment