Skip to main content

12/8 4:00 pm



Ethan had an echo with the profusion team. They think he is ready to come off of ECMO today. It is a relief from the perspective that every time he moves his legs I am worried he will dislodge a cannula and bleed out. It seems I am not the only one with this fear as people hustle in when he starts flailing.

Recently he tried to get up out of bed and was going to be completely nude. We discussed the strict policy the ICU has on streaking and how that is not appropriate. I am sure he has learned this behavior from his father.

So now the nurses are preparing to move Ethan with all his 16 pumps (we gained a few over the last few hours) to the OR. What a disaster.

We may be eliminating some machines though and clearing out this room a little.

So basically in Ethan’s left leg is a cannula in his femoral vein and in his right leg there is a cannula in his femoral artery.  They can remove the cannula in his vein and apply pressure to stop bleeding. Easy peasy.

The artery is different. That’s the one if they remove, he could bleed out, so they have to act swiftly. They clamp off above and below where the cannula goes in. The remove the cannula and apply a patch made of bovine pericardium. This is essentially cow heart tissue. It is harvested and then processed to be acellular so the body doesn’t reject it. Brilliant. This tissue is applied over the opening of the artery and sewn in.  This makes it so that the artery doesn’t create a narrowing as it is healing. Then wham bam thank you man, he will be heading back to ICU with me.

I am losing count of how many times this kid has gone to the operating room.

So a team of people started coming in and getting him ready to be mobile. It takes about an hour to pack him up. I had to sign more forms allowing them to use blood product if he bleeds and to go over all the horrible things that can go wrong. I sign my name, print my name, state my relationship, date and record the time.  Next.....same steps all over again.....next.....

Somewhere along the way I only wrote my first name on a line I was supposed to print my entire name.  About 10 minutes later on of the ladies came in and said “I am sorry to bother you but we have to have you print your first and last name on this line.”  I looked at it and it just said Patricia.

Dead serious was painted on my face as I looked at her.   I have interacted with this lady multiple times in a friendly manner. I said point blank.  “Today I decided to go down to one name.  You know, like BeyoncΓ© and Madonna.” She laughed. I apologized and added my last name.

I gave a warning to the anesthesiologist. He needs lots on anesthesia.  He was already on it. “ I have heard about Ethan.”  He said while Patting his pocket that was full of syringes holding the magic sleepy drugs. 

This surgery should take about 2 hours they said. 







Comments

  1. Come on Ethan! This is a HUGE step forward. Follow the rules of the road and stay on the path. Don't go off roading right now. They are trying to help you. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti- Beyonce and Madonna have NOTHING on you. You are simply a rock star. My goodness, it sounds like Ethan is trying to live full speed, pedal to the metal. He's got a great new heart and he's ready to go. Oh, the stories you are going to have for him.... all our love from VT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope he's back with you and resting comfortably soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And as far as Ethan being totally naked, that's why they call it ICU! (I see you! )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers from home. Can see why ur mind went elsewhere when signing ur name Madonna... Hahahaha I can see u telling the lady with a straight face too...
    πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ™πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job hun. I’m sure you brighten all the Doctors and nurses day just like you brighten ours with your blogs. And Ethan did not learn streaking from me. We all know what side of the family that comes from.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment