Skip to main content

❤️ 1/17 7:10 am

Well, Janice shit the bed last night, again. They decided to try the diuretic challenge early. This included getting a high dose of diuretics to see if he makes an appropriate amount of urine. His kidney has been rested for a bit. He did not respond to the challenge the way they wanted. He did not produce as much urine as they wanted. They will rest his kidney longer and try again later.

Ethan had more sedation lifted (a very small adjustment) and he is a little more alert. He is a bit confused. He is not delirious anymore. He is able to communicate a little bit. He wants his phone. We are back to that. He can’t see with all the drops and ointment we are putting in his eyes.  I took a picture of the password screen on my phone. When he went to touch the screen, he wasn’t even close. His depth perception is way off. 

He is getting frustrated with that. I remind him that he is on lots of drugs that are going to good his brain up a bit. Also, he has eye ointment that makes everything blurry.

Ethan’s movements are more controlled. He isn’t as jolty. We give him “free time” unrestrained. He uses his free time to touch his chest or scratch his nose. He is very gentle with each movement. Sometimes he gets sneaky and tries to take off the oxygen sensor. 

This morning after xray, I got my most beautiful gift. Ethan had a sad look on his face and he was squeezing his eyes shut. I walked up to the bed, leaned in close to him and said “good morning”. Ethan was unrestrained because his nurse and I were going to turn him.  

He opened his eyes and looked at me. “Hi” I said. He ever so delicately reached up and pulled my mask down. When he saw it was me, he slowly reached his arm toward me and put his arm around my neck. I got my first hug. Of course tears pouring out of my face.

“Hi buddy, you are ok.  You are going to be ok. You are doing so awesome!” We hugged for a good two minutes.

His nurse and I stood next to him as he pointed at different things in the room and we told him what they did or why they were there. 

We started to give him choices. Do you want to face the window or the door? Do you want your brace on or off. We gave him choices that didn’t really matter but also gave him power. This was a useful tool when the kids were smaller. 

  *parenting tip* -This one is Epic

Give your kids as many useless choices as you can. It makes them feel good to make choices. You can also influence the choice if you need to. Do you want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a dog poop sandwich? Oh good, peanut butter and jelly. I have all the ingredients right here. 

Just make one choice slightly less favorable. Be willing to commit. If dog poop sandwich is chosen, you better have the ingredients. 

Ethan reached up and gave me another hug. I loved every second. It made every moment of hardship over the past several weeks worth it. That was my bright spot for a week.

He also wanted the TV on. He is moving a bit more. This is so good. He is lifting his head off the pillow.  The nurse said he tried to get off the bed last night during his bath. He threw a leg over the side of the bed. She asked him if he was leaving and he shook his head “yes”. Breathing tube in, Hooke up to dialysis, many pumps and cords. He was going to Peace out.

He had one of his pulmonary hypertension medications turned off this morning. One less pump. Yeah. 

We will see what the day holds for us. My heart is warm and happy. I got TWO hugs from my boy.

Comments

  1. Wow!!!! What a great morning!!! Welcome back to earth Ethan!!! I advise not to choose a poop sandwich. Especially since you’ve stepped in it too many times in the last 2 months. πŸ’©πŸ₯ͺ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that each day is more baby steps forward. He feels good when he knows you are close by. Enjoy those sweet hugs. He will be trying to pop the clutch and push the gas peddle soon enough. We love you Both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another day with streaming
    Tears of Happiness!!
    Ethan had a lot to
    Say in that Hug
    and gave you the
    BEST GIFT🎁 ever ...
    The Hug you will never forget!
    He knows how much you
    Deserve it !! πŸ‘
    What a moment ❤️
    What a Blessing ...πŸ™
    A day the Lord is saying
    I’m here...”We’ve got this”πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another day with streaming
    Tears of Happiness!!
    Ethan had a lot to
    Say in that Hug
    and gave you the
    BEST GIFT🎁 ever ...
    The Hug you will never forget!
    He knows how much you
    Deserve it !! πŸ‘
    What a moment ❤️
    What a Blessing ...πŸ™
    A day the Lord is saying
    I’m here...”We’ve got this”πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another day with streaming
    Tears of Happiness!!
    Ethan had a lot to
    Say in that Hug
    and gave you the
    BEST GIFT🎁 ever ...
    The Hug you will never forget!
    He knows how much you
    Deserve it !! πŸ‘
    What a moment ❤️
    What a Blessing ...πŸ™
    A day the Lord is saying
    I’m here...”We’ve got this”πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another day with streaming
    Tears of Happiness!!
    Ethan had a lot to
    Say in that Hug
    and gave you the
    BEST GIFT🎁 ever ...
    The Hug you will never forget!
    He knows how much you
    Deserve it !! πŸ‘
    What a moment ❤️
    What a Blessing ...πŸ™
    A day the Lord is saying
    I’m here...”We’ve got this”πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patti this is great news it makes me cry too. I am so happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to hear he is doing better. I read your blogs everyday. While the steps have been baby steps I can' t help to feel how quick he is recovering compared to where he was at. I am going to continue to pray. Keeping you ALL in my prayers! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. That hug is the best medicine!! Tears of happiness come to my eyes for a mama to get a hug from her boyπŸ₯°.
    God bless and hug you both πŸ™πŸΌ

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so wonderful! I predict lots more hugs and happy tears coming. So exciting....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome morning. More steps forward for you Ethan.. Nurse probably had cold water for his bath, that’s why he was on the move.. Hahahaha.
    Hugs are the best. No more mention about Poop!!!!!!! Only good poop as he passes by it on the ground..
    Sky is looking up for you guys.. more steps forward..
    .πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just awesome. I am so happy for you, for all of you. You have waited so long for a response from Ethan and you get 2 hugs, just amazing❤️❤️❤️.
    Happy tears and amenπŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ». Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I now have tears of happiness flowing. Ethan hugs...Best. Gift. Ever. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good day. πŸ€— hugs are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. More happy tears, Patti! What a wonderful start to your day...I’m so glad you got your hugs!!! That must have been the best feeling in the world after all you two have been through. Your hugs will be the best form of healing for Ethan. I hope you get many more today. Ps. Liv is reading your blog too, she is so happy Ethan has turned a corner and he is getting better. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like things are definitely moving in the right direction!!!♥️ Keep on keeping on Patti!! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great update! Hugs πŸ€— are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment