Skip to main content

1/17 8:35 pm



Today has been very busy. I have not been bored at all. Two hours this morning were spent medicating, turning, PT/OT sprinkled in with explaining machines and what medications were for. We also tried the phone again at Ethan’s request. He can’t even hold the phone with one hand.  His vision is off because of the  ointments and medications he is on. He didn’t even realize I gave him my phone instead of his. 

The nurse has me doing a few of his treatments because he just cooperates with me a little better. We have a system. I do find that if I do more explaining before administering the medication the better. The nurses are zipping around and I have the time to talk through it with him. It also makes me feel like I am helping him. So I like that part of it.

He has given me a few hugs today.  I feel like each one is a special gift. There is a reason this kid is here. He has “died” twice. There is something he needs to accomplish and fulfill. 

The hugs are usually because he is upset and tears are pooling in his eyes. He is not painful. He is frustrated and scared. He will reach up and shakily put an arm around my neck. I feel so helpless. So I help the only way I know how.

I give him a pep talk. We go over what all the machines do and why they are there. We discuss his medications and how they are going to goof up the way he sees, moves and thinks. We also go over that he is kicking ass and he is a freakin tough kid, and even though he is scared, he needs to trust me he is getting better and stronger each day. Everyone is here to support him and make sure that he stays safe and heals. It is usually followed with, you are the strongest person I know. You are doing a fantastic job.

It’s hard to see him upset. He has conquered so much but I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for him. I even told him that. The two of us were just hugging and crying together. I was wiping his tears away. “You can do this! You have come so far!”

Psych came by and the doctor talked to him a little bit but Ethan fell asleep mid conversation a few times.

“Your questions must be totally boring for him.” I said as Ethan lay there asleep. We laughed. Ethan woke up briefly and the doctor asked him if he was able to sleep.  Ethan promptly fell asleep on cue. “I am going to go with.....he is NOT having trouble sleeping.” I told the doctor.

Rounds happened, we are starting to slowly wean the second of the three pulmonary hypertension medications. The third one he will be on until the doctors deem it is safe to stop, likely a year or two.

Also, they are trying to encourage Ethan to breath on his own more. His respiratory rate is slow. Likely due to his medications. They are slowly going down on his sedatives still. This will happen more and more as the days go on.

His throat hurts from the tube that has been in there for the past 8 weeks. Sometimes I watch and rewatch his YouTube videos just to hear his voice. I imagine even when he gets the tube out, his voice will be wonky for a few weeks as he heals.

Janice broke down. I made Ethan briefly smile when I flipped her off while she was making her loud horrible Janice noises. Of course the circuit came down. Every time it is a rush to get as much of his blood from the machine back into his body.

Ethan then developed another fever. He had blood, respiratory and urine cultures yesterday due to fever. He’s one a heavy duty antibiotic for his lungs currently as well as a profylactic dose of a different medication.

His abdomen is becoming distended. I noticed it and mentioned it to the nurse. We tried warm packing his belly. I am afraid his phobia of going to the bathroom without a traditional toilet is so upsetting that he is holding it. Probably not even intentionally, it is a stress induced, anxiety based issue.  He says it doesn’t hurt when we push on it. With the heavy dose of pain medication he is on, he could get run over slowly by a bus and he wouldn’t even feel it.

Today was full of positives. It was also hard. Ethan is very upset with how things are going.  He still gave me a bunch of hugs so that’s ok.





Comments

  1. ❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤
    πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—
    You are both strong, you'll get through this.
    I watched the go cart video yesterday, what a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patti,

    We have been following all your updates and are very excited Ethan is coming around! He looks good in today's picture with so many connections now gone!

    You are Ethan's best medicine. Keep it up!

    Keeping You and Ethan in our thoughts every day,

    Liz, Mike and Tyler.

    Your Uttley-Coburn Canadian family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to read everything. Ethan is very strong will and willget through this. It all makes me have happy tears!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go Ethan! Just stay out of the POT HOLES!!!! Can't wait to see what you will do next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phone, dam kids with their phones these days.. so over rated..
    Good steps. And his throat will be raw. Kind of like raw walrus burgers.. Hahahaha
    Keep moving forward and hope u both have a great night(until that 5am wake up call)...
    πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks so so good today. So good to see. Keep it up bud...i can't imagine how scary this all must be...but you have one heck of a mom there with you and she won't let anything happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s so great to see small peaks of him coming out. I agree he is and will be upset with how things have gone but he will come to terms with it. I can’t imagine waking up months later from something that should’ve been much less in my mind. He is doing great. I’m glad you had a busy day hon. I know it’s gotta be tiring but it helps keep you occupied. You’re kicking butt!! Please send him a hug from Avery and I. Love you ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. You being there and your encouraging words Patti are what gets Ethan through every day!! Keep up the good work!! You truly are a super mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those hugs! What a wonderful thing, even if driven by emotion and frustration... and look at you, how strong you are. How strong this wonderful family is, to tackle this with Mom where she needs to be and Dad holding down the fort, where he needs to be. God bless you both for looking after both of your beautiful children. You guys have set an example that I'd love to see countless families follow, the example of sacrificial love. Go you!

    I love the steps forward... I pray that the tentative movements forward help his body and the confusion in his mind handle things. Imagine how disjointed our thoughts are when we have a fever from a virus, then imagine this ongoing confusion for months... of course that's frightening, like a dream you can't wake up from. So we have the advantage of knowing what he's going through, but to his cluttered mind and aching body, it's got to seem insurmountable at times. So we'll pray you both through all of this and bless you with hometown and family love. I do so love these reports... Thanks, Patti!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those hugs you two have! It draws strength for each otherπŸ€—.
    Dear God continue the healing process and put your hug of hope and love around Ethan and Patti.
    Amen πŸ™πŸΌ

    ReplyDelete
  11. His eyes look so much better, nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment