Skip to main content

1/20 6:50 pm

During Ethan’s Echo, I was allowed to wait in the nurses lounge.  The nurses lounge is the “used to be” parents area until covid hit. Well what a glorious treat!  The sun was shining, the view was amazing. I was alone.  No other humans. Wow!

His echo came back that he still has high pressures within the heart. This new heart has now adapted and the function is much better!  Woo hoo!!!



Ethan’s xray had more fluid in his chest today than there was yesterday. Janice has some work to do today.

Rounds happened. We are going to slowly wean the sedation down a teensy bit today. OT/PT are coming daily and  are so pleased with Ethan’s strength and participation. Even the critical care doctor says she was surprised at the report PT gave the day before about how strong Ethan was. He tries so hard to stay awake for 20 minutes. He sometimes falls asleep during it but tries so hard to show how strong he is. And STRONG he is! 

Ethan proceeded to charm everyone. He hugged his night nurse, he hugged his day nurse. He hugged his OT. I stepped out of the room after rounds for a bit. Ethan was sleeping and I left. When I returned he was awake. I waved as I walked in. He waved back and then immediately held his arms out and wanted a hug. It turned into snuggling and we watched Tv.  Well I watched TV, Ethan watched the back of his eye lids.

Psych came by just to make sure things were ok. I mentioned all the hugging and that normally he isn’t a huge hugger and is slightly out of character. Don’t get me wrong, I have totally enjoyed all the hugs. They said it is not abnormal for someone who has gone through such a critical illness to have this response. Again, I love it.

I hung up a picture of Ethan and his girlfriend, Jesney right in his sight line. He saw it and tears welled up in his eyes.  “Can you see the picture?” He shook his head yes.  “Do you miss her?” He shook his head yes. “I know she misses you too.”

The lung team decided his lung secretions increased because he is a wiggle butt in the bed. The more he moves, the more it loosens things up. A culture was sent to make sure nothing shows up.

Ethan turned himself on his side. He almost derailed his tube. He looked so comfy and he fell asleep. He slept on his side (first time since his surgery).


I am so happy that Ethan is emerging from his frail body. It’s been a long time since I have seen him.He is still powering through all the sedation he has been given. It has been a long time. I received a card from a good friend with a quote written in it for Ethan and I that I felt was so fitting. 

“You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.” 

I just love this. We are not going to say “Why me?” We are going to say “Get out of my way! Here I come.”




Comments

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day!!! Keep the hugs coming Ethan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress AND alone time, just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep going the way you are progressing. Watch out for the POT HOLES and enjoy those hugs. I hope you both sleep well. Tomorrow is another day of healing. We love you Both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad he is doing better and that you are getting hugs. Nothing better than getting hugs from you kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always love hearing positive updates. Ethan comes by his strength honestly, naturally, from you guys.
    ❤💛❤💛❤💛❤💛❤💛❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! Such great progress!!!!! I’m so happy he is emerging from his very sick state to healing and getting stronger!!! Way to go 🫀!!! You’ve got a lot of life to live!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is such a sweet update, and everyday is just getting better. and he's definitely a wonderful hugger. i miss him always but i truly appreciate you hanging up a photo <3333

    ReplyDelete
  8. So uplifting! I believe his hugs are hugs of love and thank you’s to everyone who has been taking care of him. I’m so happy to see him exceeding expectations on his PT. But I’m not surprised as that is his personality. Great day !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that quote and it fits Ethan. I’m so happy to read all this positive news. He looks so snug in his bed. I’m glad it was another good day and things continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love that quote and wrote it down in my planner. I feel a momentum happening now.... it feels like you are headed out of the worst, darkest days.... thrilling! What a sweet boy. His last post before surgery deeply moved me. He is so strong. He's now able to show his appreciation and love and you ALL greatly deserve this. Hoping for another great day ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to hear that Ethan is starting to rev up his engine - slow and steady, but it's ready to roar! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  12. 👏🏻👏🏻 I believe those words written in the card are true. We may prefer not to be picked for the task, but the only thing we can do is fight through it and win! Never give up🤗🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment