Skip to main content

2/16


Over night, at midnight, they came in to do an ultrasound on Ethan’s neck.  When he had his dialysis cannulas relocated to his neck, they made a tiny incision past it that was closed with one stitch.  The stitch was taken out two weeks later and under where it was there was a small mass.  A week passed and it didn’t decrease in size. It kind of looks like a nipple on his neck. They found it was encapsulated and dense but that was about it. Apparently human reports do not come with any further recommendations like animal reports do.  So we will see what the plan will be.



Janice came down at 5:30 this morning. Thanks Janice. What a way to wake up. Her bitching with her robotic series of panicked beeps. The nurse was unable to return the blood. I told Ethan he may feel tired today and tomorrow. He was panicking because Janice makes LOUD unfavorable noises when she isn’t happy. Hence, the Janice from Friends reference.  Ethan thought something was terribly wrong as two additional people rushed in to help our nurse. Everyone on the floor now refers to her as Janice. Even the doctors during rounds.

Then this morning right before rounds we were approached with bittersweet news. We got the news that we were going to be transferred out of the cardiac ICU to regular ICU.  This is good news because it means that Ethan’s heart has become strong and healthy to no longer require such intense cardiac support.

This news devastated Ethan.  Tears welled up in his eyes as the thought of leaving all these people that have saved his life, literally, cheered him on, visited him, let him borrow things to make him more comfortable, he wouldn’t get to see as often.  I felt the same way too. All of these people have left footprints on our hearts. We have laughed together, cried together and they have only showered us with kindness. I will forever be grateful for each person that went out of their way so that our day could be better. I saw Ethan getting upset. When he gets upset, I also get upset. Now we both had tears in our eyes.

“This is hard news, but it is good news.  You aren’t sick enough to be in the cardiac ICU. You are getting better. This is one move closer to home.” I told him.

I left him alone in the room and collected myself the best anyone could after having a good cry with their son. I wiped my tears and looked at him and said what any mom would say.  

“Is my mascara ok?” I asked

“It looks good.” He said

Off to join rounds while I processed our new situation.

At rounds it was brought up again to start this medication. I brought up my concerns again and the doctor explained that they were going to do a wean on one of his drugs that can soften his blood pressure. Then they won’t have to use the other medication that was suggested. Phew! Good plan.

I also let them know that i had independently contacted the dietician. I have been keeping a food diary for Ethan for the past few days. I want to present to the dietician that Ethan can have his feeds turned off during the day (reducing his overall fluid in take), so we can work toward the goal of HD dialysis.

I went back in the room and started packing everything up again. I had a sinus headache in my eyeball that was super annoying but pushed through it even though I didn’t feel like it. Thank goodness for the help. It took a few trips and a lot of help but we were able to get everything. 

Ethan, still in cardiac ICU spent his last moments there walking the entire floor, from room 15, all the way to room 2 (our original room) and back. This is the farthest he has walked to date. He had the least amount of assistance as well. Wow! Ethan kicking ass! He did complain that his legs and feet were sore. He did say that he is glad because it means he is getting stronger. We prepared our final walk through the floor saying goodbye to all of our favorites. 

We began our journey upstairs to the 11 th floor. Our view is different and our room is much smaller. But as Ethan said today I am going to do everything in my power to get home as fast as I can. It means I have to push through and kick ass.”

Ethan was disappointed by the size of our room. It is small. However, it has a floor with two parent bathrooms with two showers instead of one. It was the floor we were originally on back on November 11 th. Our nurse was the same nurse. I think back to that was the beginning of our journey. We had no idea what our stay would be like. Wow!

I redecorated the room (again) and unpacked everything. Phew! What a big job. Ethan took a hard nap. I looked at him so cozy under all his blankets and I was a little jealous. I looked at my new bed. A vinyl couch.

Then I had to wash Ethan’s hair because it was getting kind of gross. Mini spa day. Apparently I am not as good at it as the nurses. I will get there.

Ethan was freezing today with Janice running. He had a heated blanket on high, covered with his double layered blanket plus another blanket. He was given some shirts and a hat from Greece Ridge Fire Department, the firehouse my Dad worked at before he passed away 26 years ago. Very cool. I have fond memories of playing hide and go seek on the fire trucks with my brother and going to the “weight room” to work out. I also have great memories of all the pranks he used to play on people. 


The dietician came and I went over everything Ethan had been eating. They currently allow him to be off of feeds for 4 hours a day. Other than those 4 hours, he has a belly full of formula. How is he supposed to be hungry? So I proposed that his feeds get turned off at 8 am and turned back on at 5 pm. This will allow Ethan to feel hungry and eat more. Together we came up with a plan to make this happen. As long as Ethans belly cooperates, he will get a 9 hour break instead of a 4 hour break. Woo hoo! This means Ethan will be taking in 1100 ml’s per day with feeds. His total liquid intake to be switched over to HD dialysis when Ethan achieves 1500 ml or less. 

 Ethan also has started swallowing tablets or capsules for the majority of his medications. This also cuts down the amount of liquids he is taking in. I am hoping we will transition to HD in the very near future. Ethan will have to stay in ICU for a number of days as he is adjusting to HD dialysis. They will make sure his kidney stays happy. Then we will graduate to the regular floor. After that, we will be transferred. We are getting closer to home.

As we settled into our new digs, the faces are friendly but less familiar. It is sad to leave our network, but we have graduated. We still have a long hall to walk down to get to recovery but we will do it. One step at a time.

As Ethan says “I am living my life 1/4 mile at a time.” Now cardiac ICU is in his rear view mirror.





Comments

  1. Woo Hoo! This is a huge step for both of you! I hope this didn't have anything to do with your wild wheelchair driving. Ha ha ha. I feel sad and a little anxious for you to be leaving all of those wonderful people. I know that you are both very determined and focused to continue to progress forward. That means you will make NEW friends and enjoy the wonderful care that they can give you. Keep going forward! This is Wonderful. Love you Both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤
    Congratulations on graduating from CICU! That's a huge step closer to home. I know all the staff on the 9th floor will miss you both but are happy for you. It's certainly understandable to be sad to leave behind the amazing team that has supported you. Your new team will be amazing, too.

    Great job with the dietitian and keeping an eye on the medications! I'm particularly excited about the diet changes (is that weird?)

    Wishing you an uneventful, restful night and a day of ever greater strides.

    ❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti, I honestly don’t know how you keep all of this straight (food, meds, etc)? I’m going to start calling you for my well care visits, lol!!
    I’m sure those familiar faces will be popping in to check on their favorite patient. They developed a special bond with Ethan. How wonderful though for him to be moved out of cardiac ICU. Great job Ethan! I love your hat from Greece Ridge.
    Ethan, keep kicking ass!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’re on the road to home😊 πŸ™πŸΌ

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for moving to the new floor....another step closer to home!! It’s so hard getting attached to the staff then having to leave. They will certainly miss you both. I’m sure they’ll be stopping in to see their favorite patient and get a little dose of Patti shenanigans. The new staff has no idea what’s in store for them. LOL!!

    Keep kicking ass Ethan!!!!! You are amazing...such an inspiration to me!!! Hope you guys have a good day. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Congratulations! This sounds like an incredible step forward. I'm hoping the staff on the new floor are as wonderful as the last ones. Keep going Ethan! You got this. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

  7. Changes can be difficult but
    Rewarding as well
    As Ethan moves onto
    The Next Step, he has been
    Blessed with a staff of
    “Medical Angels “ that have
    seen him through this difficult
    time with their Knowledge,
    Care and Love !!!
    What a Gift 🎁 Ethan has
    given them as they watch him
    Progress into the next level
    toward his Journey Home 🏠

    And..what a Gift 🎁 Ethan gets
    knowing he received the Best of Care from those who Cared for
    him so much . They will be
    Remembered for the Rest of
    His Life with Love and Gratitude!

    And What a Gift 🎁 for Mom.
    You are an amazing person and
    Mother Patti
    Bless πŸ™you and love ❤️ you

    Keep going Ethan
    Let’s kick it all the way
    back Home 🏠





    ReplyDelete
  8. 1/4 mile at a time, but gaining momentum and picking up speed. Keeping lapping back home, Ethan. We miss you (and Patti) oh, so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Congratulations! That is definitely a huge step of success!!! It’s bittersweet for sure to move away from your values support team, but I’m so glad you guys are closer to coming home. You both are so very missed. Keep kicking A$$ Ethan!!!!
    Patti, you need to be on that hospitals pay roll..... πŸ©ΊπŸ’΅

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing what 2 weeks will do! , thats the last time I read ur post. Ethan you look fantastic! Mom, ya gotta get some suction cup hooks for the bathroom! ewwww, humans can be gross!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment