Skip to main content

3/24


I had to laugh this morning. Ophthalmology came by to examine Ethan. There was a sign on the door that said “DO NOT DISTURB ETHAN IS IN CLASS.” She opened the door, came in and said “I saw your sign. Is now a good time to do an ophthalmology exam on Ethan?” She stated that she saw the sign. I politely recited the second part of the sign she already saw. “Ethan is in class and we can’t disrupt him.”  “Oh......ok....I guess I will come back later.”  I told her “that seems like a good plan.” I just don’t understand????? These are situations that drive me a little nuts. I have to do my box breathing afterwards. I took the time to communicate our needs. They were just ignored.

Ethan did have some visitors that came to say good bye. They didn’t seem to have trouble with the sign. Ethan had tears in his eyes. Loose plans were made in the future for when we come back into town to go to appointments. It makes it less of goodbye and more of a see you soon situation.

Ethan had his PT after class as well as an echo before dialysis started. During dialysis, Ethan turned in his beads of courage log to his nurse that we lovingly deemed his “butt nurse”. Who wouldn’t want that title?She is on the wound care team and was helping to care for Ethan’s bed sore way back when.

I went upstairs with “butt nurse” and she went through and prepared his beads. While I was upstairs I was able to see many people that cared for Ethan. I saw the doctor that spent 12 hours sitting outside his room because he was so critical. Her eyes lit up talking about how much better he is doing and how everyone wasn’t sure if he was going to “make it”. Heck I wasn’t even sure at some points. I had to put all my trust in that things would work out however they were meant to. I had to trust that somehow, whatever his fate may be, was what I was to accept. I like the outcome.

It made me go back to, this kid steps in shit and comes out smelling like a rose over and over again. I had to trust in that. He is oozing rose right now. WOW!

I spent the morning on and off the phone with the insurance company, pharmacy and Children’s specialized to help coordinate things. Most of this has been done our rock star nursing and social work team members. Thank goodness for them. 

I was able to pack the majority of things up today. Tomorrow will be a busy day. 

Ethan’s echo results came back “looking great!”. That is such great news because up until this point in Ethan’s life he has NEVER had a good echo. Wow!

As I told him over and over again while he was in a coma....we are BOTH walking out of this hospital. I am not leaving without you by my side. My most sacred promise ever.

I am proud that this medical team included me and let me be an active part of it. We all came together and we’re able to work through this no doubt most stressful time ever. I leave this hospital an emotionally stronger person. 

I decided to prank the hospital. I hid small Sasquatch cutouts all over the hospital. I thought it would be fun for people to discover and wonder what the hell is a Sasquatch doing in here. Or......I wonder what the story is with these? This is how I entertain myself.

Ethan had his brains scraped again for his covid test. They need to make sure he is negative for rehab. Gotta love the brain scrape.

We said more goodbyes, exchanged hugs and Instagram info. We are ready to move onto the next step. Ethan did mention he was a bit nervous with all the upcoming change. We will adapt and kick ass.

Comments


  1. Congratulations EthanπŸŒΉπŸŽπŸŽ‰
    We knew you could do it πŸ‘
    A step closer to home for
    You and your Mom!!
    You’re saying so long to all those
    great Nurses and Doctors.
    Hard to say Good-Bye
    But what a rewarding feeling
    for everyone knowing that you
    Did It..!!! You’re on your way
    with everyone’s Help , Love and Resprct for you!
    They may be out of sight -
    But never out of mind!
    All of you have left a lasting
    impression and love for each
    other .. what a Gift
    Move on ,Keep kicking your
    Way Back Home!! Yeah

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'mon how dumb and blind can you be (insert eyeroll)?!  Eye thinks she might need an appointment herself...haha! Fyi, auto correct left Eye (I was being funny) but then added the s to thinks...I just couldn't correct it. LOL
    I have to admit, I was very scared for Ethan at first.  Especially, having gone through Zach's heart transplant journey two years ago, almost the same timeframe. How crazy we know and witnessed both miracle kids. I mean, most people go through there life without even knowing anyone who would have a heart transplant.
    Those first several hours, that turned into way too long since you posted, had my heart and mind racing.  I knew something was wrong; the surgery was taking way too long.  My gut had an awful feeling, I even messaged Julie. I felt like this was not going to be the same joy we experienced after Zach's surgery.  It seemed like in just a few short hours Julie was posting the video of his beating new heart...but it was crickets from you.  We were so sad all day just thinking about you guys...thinking how you were going through this all alone in a big and scary city at that time, due to covid with no one by your side to comfort or hug you.  I was so incredibly worried with tears just at the thoughts popping into my head...my heart was so sad for you, Paul and Avery. 
    You are the bravest, strongest and courageous person I have ever known...well, besides Ethan.  I am in complete awe of him and the amazing miracle this sweet, kind hearted kid was given.  I truly believe in the power of prayer, the power of your own will and determination which he clearly has shown us, kept him kicking ass!  I think I can say for everyone who knows Ethan, your family and those following your post, we are all thankful for the incredible staff at Children's for saving his life. 
    I'm so happy for you and Ethan, this day has arrived, and you are heading to rehab today...YAY!!!  Keep kicking ass and being our inspiration, Ethan!!!  Can't wait to have you guys back home very soon.  Looking forward to your rehab posts and praying you love the staff just as much as 9tower. Too funny you had to get in one last prank...everyone will miss their daily Patti shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🌹🌹🌹
    I'm so happy for all the roses and that Ethan has healed so much that he is ready for rehab! I'm proud of you both. Tears of joy today...
    ❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is a Healing God! He guided those doctors and nurses to give Ethan just what he need to heal. Between everyone's prayers, Ethan and your determination and trust that things would work out as they should be, you both have MADE IT!! One step closer to coming home and living a life that is meant for Ethan to live. Keep going. It still won't be easy, but you both have proven that with all of these people behind you praying, you can trust that you can make it. Love you Both!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are walking out of that hospital together. Woo hoo!!!!!!!!! We are thrilled for this day. We've been waiting for this great day. We are hopeful for the next phase of healing and the preparation for your journey home. We are in awe of what you both have endured and how far you both have come. Best day ever. Good luck with the move! Tears of joy for sure and lots and lots of love, always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your being an active part was a huge factor in Ethan's success. I'm certain without you advocating for him, questioning some of their assessments and decisions here and there, the outcome may have been different. If ever in need, I'd want Dr. Patti on my side. Keep kicking ass as you head into the next chapter of this journey. No stepping in shit as you keep stepping closer to home ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is by far my favorite post you've ever made. ❤️❤️❤️ We are so happy and proud and beaming for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I just got all choked up. Such an emotional journey and we were all so lucky to have been a part of it all. Ethan your journey gives people SO MUCH HOPE!! We will continue to pray for you and your family and look forward to seeing you back in Hilton real soon! Please continue to kick some ass, would ya?!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ethan...don’t be nervous about the move. Think of it as a new journey getting you closer and closer home. You have come so far and you are on the home stretch with the most awesome Mom anyone could ever have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading this and thinking back I remember the knots in my stomach. Praying as hard as I could that the next day there would be better news.
    Here we are...Ethan and Mom moving on to the next step...one step closer to home. Ethan you have done an incredible job getting yourself to this point, you should be proud. Patti, you are one strong woman..best Mom ever!! I’m not sure where Ethan would be in recovery if you weren’t right there advocating for him every step of the way. Paul, Avery and Jesney such a difficult process for all of you, he’s almost there with all of you.
    So excited for your next step in your journey. 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment