Skip to main content

3/29

My phone rings......”hello” I say. How come I always answer the phone like I am asking a question? Upward inflection it’s so weird. However, if I answered it a different way, it may sound aggressive.

“Hi this is the kidney donor team calling you about your donor compatibility for Ethan.

I immediately felt like I was going over the hill on a rollercoaster. That feeling where your stomach goes into your throat.

He kept talking.  I tried to patiently listen but really just wanted to know, Yes or no? Yes or no? Why isn’t he saying if I am a match or not. “How are you today?” He asked. Does he really give a crap? I don’t really care how he is doing. I just want the yes or the no. 

“We got the results back on your test and you.....” I felt like I was on Maury Povich finding out the paternity test on one of the 26 guys that could be the father of my baby.

“You are a match to Ethan. If the time comes he needs a kidney, further testing will be required but you are a match.” 

What a relief! We can handle the transplant. We can control when he gets the kidney. I just need to stay healthy until then. 

Ethan went to OT this morning. When he got back I told him the news.

“Hell yeah” he said, eyes bright, smile on his face.  “We are the dream team.” He said! We did a high five.

Ethan did his PT today and was very tired afterward. While at PT, I was trying to reorder one of his medications. This was proving to be a debacle because we are “out of state”. Finally after the second mail order pharmacy we tried, they accepted the shipping address. Hopefully insurance helps out with that.

I also was rescheduling appointments and trying to get everyone to fit into our new schedule. I am literally Ethan’s personal secretary right now.

Ethan is really enjoying the food. Most meals he has cleaned his plate. The options seem healthier as well.



It was a bit rushed before dialysis. Luckily I scheduled in shit show time and man did we use it. Medications weren’t ready, paperwork wasn’t ready. But the nurse hustled her booty off and we arrived right on time.

Dialysis went great. Ethan did well and we even talked about that it was relaxing. I agreed. I met some of the people on staff and they seemed nice. 

We got back, ate dinner and did a bath and watched tv together. It was a nice night.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a busy but a good day!! Each day is one step closer to home. Love you Both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More wins for today for the dream team!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome news on the match! Great news.
    Ethan looks good and that salad looks yummy.
    I’m sure it will take a couple of days until you have that place in Patti mode, lol!!
    So are you sleeping on the windowsill bench again, a chair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. What a day!! Ethan looks great! It’s awesome he’s enjoying the food there. Ethan looks so much more comfortable and relaxed. You are both kicking ass. I think Ethan is going to raise the bar in rehab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patti, you sure are a remarkable
    Mother! We know that for sure!
    But being a Kidney Match for
    Your Son is truly Amazing ..
    Let’s Hope and Pray that Ethan’s
    Kidney will Get to Work and do
    Its thing.l You guys deserve
    that much! But just knowing you’re m A match , that is a great gift!!
    So happy Ethan is doing well
    and enjoying the food .
    That’s great on its own . Yeah





    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock Patti!, my heart goes out to the both of you! You two are so strong and definitely are the dream team! Keep it up and bring it home!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I’m still praying Ethan’s kidney starts working fully, and he will not need a transplant, that is fantastic news! I must say while reading I was like “ just give me the damn answer, Patti...is it yes or a no?!” Haha, just kidding...you know I love your writing.

    He really looks like himself in this pic...Ethan looks so good and happy. Glad he his liking the food, nothin worse than eating yucky hospital meals. Sounds like a pretty good day and rehab / dialysis is off to a great start...minus the insurance and paperwork 💚

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Best News Ever!!! You're A Match!!! We will continue praying for Ethan's kidneys to get healthier and that you won't need to go thru this. Keep showing them Ethan that you & mom are not to be messed with!! Two very strong people!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic news!!!!! The updates keep getting better and better. I am THRILLED for you both. You are both champions. Lots of power rock ballads running thru my mind. You are kicking mega ass and moving forward. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great news!!! Seems like there were an abundance of bright spots in your day. 💚

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome news. I know u were on pins and needles waiting to hear that ur a match.. one less hurdle for both of u to try to get done..
    Very happy and hope his kidney starts KICKING SOME ASS and not expecting a free ride...
    Ethan looks great and you’ll both be home soon...
    💚💚💚💚💚🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment