Skip to main content

5/11

Today I worked on planning my kidney donor testing. This is in preparation for us going to NYC for work up. I have 31 lab tests, a 24 hour urine collection and evaluation (sounds fun) and then I have to drive to a specific lab for blood collection that is about 40 miles away. They wanted a fasted and NO COFFEE sample, 😳 plus a visit for a mammogram and OBGYN. THEN I will get a CT scan, Xray and EKG. Let’s get this party started.

I am trying to figure out when the best time to schedule this will be. I don’t want to have to lug around a cooler with my urine collection jug in it “just in case” I am at dialysis with Ethan and nature calls. So it may be interesting.

Dialysis was hilarious. We got there early to continue learning. Today we used the actual machine that we will take home. However, our nurse was never technically trained on this particular machine as it is new. It takes 23 minutes to prime the machine. We went through all the set up, which isn’t hard, just time consuming. We get Ethan hooked up to the machine and found that we weren’t able to correct one of the settings. After some troubleshooting and a phone call to the company, the only solution was to return Ethan’s blood, discontinue the run and start all over again.....including the 23 minute prime. We were there a bit longer than usual but it all worked out. Hopefully we made our nurses day a little better too.

Our nurse felt horrible. Ethan and I were laughing because this is exactly the stuff that happens to me. So Ethan and I treated him as we would want to be treated in that situation. We were kind and we tried to make him laugh. He is the absolute perfect fit for us.

After dialysis we had a few more appointments including one in the city for Avery to have one of her piercings assessed. This was just the two of us. It was nice to chat with her. She is just a cool kid to be around.

We made it through another day.  This in itself deserves an award. 🥇 


Comments

  1. Holy moly…that is a lot of tests! The 24 urine can really be fun for you. Put it in the fridge, don’t tell anyone what it is…see who thinks it’s lemonade. Haha! I had to do part at work and put my jug in the fridge. Some coworkers were grossed out and we forgot to tell a couple who almost took the cap off to see what it was. LOL

    You have the patience of a saint. Hoping things go better as you get more into your routine. We are two peas in a pod I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. What test don't you have to go thru? I'm telling you.... you have a best selling novel from this experience. It just keeps going..... I am not going to complain ONE bit about my day. Nope. Your days take the cake. Hmmm.... this makes me crave your mom's famous dirt cake. Those roller rink days were so simple. Cheers to more simple times ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dirt Cake isn't too hard to make for that "little guy " of yours.

      Delete
  3. Please let me know if you ever need me to take Ethan to appointments. I am available most days, I am supposed to be retired you know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment