Skip to main content

5/18

Dialysis training started bright and early this morning. I felt a bit tired. I was paying attention but just felt tired. Ethan got his treatment. His tongue is still so sore. He is getting frustrated with it.

We returned home and I went into work for a couple hours.  How is it that I am not working that much, but still feel so tired?

I had a lady call to set up Ethan’s MRI for his seizures. At first she was not going to talk to me because Ethan is an adult. I assured her I was his advocate and that the reason my phone number was on file is so that they could talk to someone that knows what’s going on.

She was calling to set the MRI up at the hospital. Because it was at the hospital we would need yet another damn covid test. Stupid covid. 

When I inquired about having it done at an outpatient center, she said that because he had an ICD he had to have it done at the hospital. I politely let her know that his ICD was removed in November 2020 when he got his new heart. I quietly wondered why this information was not in his chart.

I feel bad for the people that call to schedule these appointments. She is just trying to do her job. The lack of communication comes from beyond yet falls on her shoulders.

She also let me know that they were going to use contrast for the MRI.  I had asked if this had been approved by his nephrologist as he is in end stage renal failure. She did not realize this diagnosis. 😳 I also asked her if we needed to time the MRI so that he can immediately go for dialysis as I had thought I had remembered that another time it was important to do dialysis right after contrast to clear it from the body. She wasn’t sure and didn’t know.

We did not schedule anything and I had asked her to find out those answers for me. What if I had not known to ask those questions? I had wished there was more communication or access to Ethan’s chart so that these questions would not need to fall on my shoulders. I wish there had been a note that discussed scheduling around dialysis. I know we will get there but I was annoyed.

I am finding that I am having some terrible conversations in my brain about things that happen but try my hardest to stay as kind as possible. Some days it is harder than others. Maybe this is why I feel tired. It’s like exercising, but just inside my brain. Ha ha. 

Ethan had a little bit of free time today before physical therapy. Physical therapy kicked his butt. He got home a bit after 6:30 and then worked on some homework for a while. He is ready for bed but is staying up tot ale his 9pm meds.

My bright spot today was the beautiful sunshine and weather. Wow! The sun was like a warm, friendly hug today.

Comments

  1. You are tired because YOU are the one who has to think about and remember ALL of the medical stuff. That makes you so very tired. Being an advocate is really hard work. It all falls on your shoulders even though it shouldn't. You are doing a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom! Excited for the rhubarb pie!

      Delete
  2. I'm exhausted for you and I get to be a bystander in all of this. Be kind to yourself. I'm not surprised at all how tired you feel. There's so much on your shoulders. Also, we are rocking our 40's now and that's a real phenomenon. Remember the days we'd have a sleep over, stay up super late and then be ready to go the next day? Nope... can't do that now. I'd be cranky, irritable and generally not a nice person. I hope things keep getting better and better in this next phase of recovery. I still can't believe how disconnected the medical field is with information. WTF? Your kid had MAJOR stuff happen that should be in bold yellow highlight in ALL his files. Why is this so hard? It's head shaking puzzling.... with all the tech databases we have today, this still happens. Maybe you can create a sharable record system for parents and become a billionaire. Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a matter of there are a lot of hands in the pot. I am the only constant. So it is natural I see all the disconnects. I have met some wonderful people through this journey. However, I do find that some days I am just so tired on having to keep my guard up. Yes....I can’t stay up late and be functional the next day. Especially if I don’t have a proper dose of coffee. ❤️

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you have adrenal fatigue with all that you have been through. How could you not? Give yourself a break. Of course you are tired and it would be weird if you weren't. Its metabolic science. Your body and mind have been brought to the brink over and over again. YOU need some TLC. Your body is affected by things like PTSD. You pushed through and sucked it up day after day for months on autopilot. When you finally have a space to let your guard down a little ( like finally being home with your family), it all comes crashing through like a wave. Just my humble observation after years and years of therapy. Cut yourself some slack. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do make some sense. Thank you. Yes PTSD indeed. I was at work yesterday and our anesthesia machine alarm went off and I think I started twitching a little. 😂

      Delete

Post a Comment