Skip to main content

6/10

Yesterday was a low day. Just frustrating at best. Today is a whole new day and I am feeling accomplished. I knew I could learn at home dialysis. I feel good about it. Of course I am going to push myself and try to do dialysis while we’re are in NYC. I see your at home dialysis….and raise you a traveling dialysis. I have practiced it two times….so I am practically an expert on it (not really). I am only a little nervous about it. But deep down I know I can do it.

Ethan wrapped up his last day of high school and I am so proud. Wow kid! You did it. You kicked ass just like you said you would. I am taking bets on who thinks I might cry at his graduation. (Psst:  I am 110% I will be ugly crying)

I think about my 24 year old self (stop doing the math, I am only 25 years old…at every birthday) with a brand new baby.  I had visions of his graduation day, after a great senior year full of homecoming, friends, drinking under the bleachers (who said that?) balancing a job, and just having fun.  

Covid was never on my radar. As much as I would like to complain about his remote learning and lack of friend time, he was never EVER critically ill for so long in those visions either. Double whammy.

Every disaster has a blessing. Most people get caught up in looking at the devastation. Our disaster of a year has not only grown my relationship with Ethan to an indestructible level, but also strengthened Paul and Avery’s relationship too. 

This disaster has also confirmed that bright spots and looking on the bright side prevails. I firmly believe that this kid would not have been as intact, emotionally, if it weren’t for bright sides.

Ethan’s mouth is starting to heal. All of the additional medication, mouth washes, essential oils rinses, magic mouth wash rinses and salt water rinses are paying off. Thank you to all with those suggestions. Now…it’s weight gaining time. Hopefully just for Ethan.

Ethan showed our BFF dialysis nurse his cars today. His extra 10-15 minutes of time meant the world to Ethan, yet again proving that sometimes you only need a few minutes and some kindness to make the rest of someone’s day great. What if we all tried to make one person’s day, each day? To share a smile or laugh with someone. It’s an endorphin overload just thinking about it.

Ethan has been having vivid recollections of his hospitalization. He remembers his hallucinations. It has been so neat to hear his detailed version of what he thought was going on versus what actually happened. It is kind of wild how someone’s brain can fill in the gaps. He remembers being able to pick his room daily. Each room had a Forrest. Some rooms had bugs, but they weren’t scary or harmful. He felt at peace. 

It is so interesting how the human brain works. I encouraged him to make a YouTube video about it. Maybe it can help other people going through a similar situation. He is excited to share his visions. 

I was able to work a bit today. I still have a lot of pending calls to make to the hospital and insurance company but needed a day to rest from that pain in the ass.

Tomorrow, another dialysis treatment and then a trip to the bank.

As I close this evening, I am feeling good about this home dialysis option. This will offer the freedom we need to become more normalish. Today offered many bright spots. I needed them.


This is Ethan getting his first home treatment.





Comments

  1. You are a bright Spot for setting the example for everyone else. I find myself looking for Bright Spots everywhere. Now you have upped the game.... we need to try to be someone else's Bright Spot. Here we go. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of you are teaching all of us so many lessons. Years ago, you shared your find the Bright Spot philosophy and it has really stuck with me. It's an incredible way to see the world. Talk about putting this thinking into practice! Most of us would be crushed by the enormous stress and terrifying events of the past year. But... you, Ethan, Paul and Avery are thriving despite enormous odds. You all are so inspirational and you're making a huge positive affect on so many people's lives. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all the confidence you be able to do traveling dialysis. You do anything you put your mind to. You set the bar high for the rest of us.

    I really don’t know how you were able to do school with all you went through, but holy cow, you did it!! Amazing doesn’t even begin to describe you enough, Ethan. I’m so excited to see you walk that stage!! I will all be ugly crying too. So proud of you both…Patti, you deserve an honorary medical diploma. You should be walking that stage too. I’ll let you walk the sidewalk at camp Kim n Scott and we’ll all cheer you on. Haha!!

    Yay...his mouth is starting to heal! I see pizza in his future soon. We’ll have to set a date…get ready to fatten up kid!

    Your always positive attitude and bright spots is very inspiring. Again, setting the bar high, for me anyway. There is always a daily bright spot, you just have to find it. I love that so much. It has helped me get through some difficult days. I thank you for that.

    Keep killin it you two!! We know you will. 🎉🎓❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment