Skip to main content

6/30/21

I woke up today. I woke up early on my “day off” which I say in jest. I laid in bed, under caffeinated. It was still dark but I stared at the ceiling fan going around and around and around. My mind was blank yet full.

What the hell is that noise? I wondered. A continuous series of three beeps, then a pause, then three beeps. It was faint to the point I even questioned if I was actually hearing it or not.

I cleared my mind with a phone game. I like to play games on my phone because I have to use all my brain power to focus and I can’t think of anything else. Some people do heroine, I play games on my phone and drink coffee. We all have addictions.

The noise I later discovered, was Ethan’s dialysis machine and had been doing this series of beeps all night long. Ethan slept through it. Wow!

Paul woke up and asked me what I was doing today. With a heavy sigh, I told him. I was overwhelmed and listed off a list that wouldn’t stop. I had verbal diarrhea all over Paul. It was practically dripping off of him. I vented how pissed I was, how frustrated I was and I think I managed to overwhelm him with the sheer amount of verbal diarrhea that I spewed all over him.

The more I talked, the more I hit the wall. He patiently listened and sympathized and said “what can I do to help?” That was exactly what I needed. I gave him some MCC stuff to juggle which is a huge weight off my shoulders.

I am tired. Hell is grasping it’s grubby little talons around me to hold me back from joy. I made myself get up and ready to take Ethan to the lab, then the bank. When I got home I had a decently long and therapeutic cry. 

I attended my virtual appointments. They went well for the most part. I began to cry when asked about Medicare. I explained that the shit show has graduated into a hippo shit show (which is really a thing, look it up on YouTube).  This poor woman also received my verbal diarrhea of all I have gone through trying to apply.

I collected myself and finished that appointment with 2 minutes to spare until the start of the next appointment. Ethan saw that I looked a bit frazzled and gave me a big hug. 

When I joined the next appointment, one of the questions I was asked was “why are you donating your kidney? Why not have someone else donate theirs? You seem to have a lot on your plate.” While I can understand the concern from this providers point of view, I was a little put off and annoyed by the comment. 

Moms fix things for their kids. If I am able to help, I am beyond honored to do so. She suggested finding  Ethan a living donor on social media. What? He can’t just get any kidney. 

“Are you a mom?” I asked “yes.” She said. If you were able to give your kidney to your child to help them live their life with quality, would you do it?” “Well I guess I would.” She said. So there was that, but she still kept up and tried to convince me to consider looking for someone else.

I didn’t understand because I have been cleared and am in good health. I started to feel myself getting upset to where the rude was going to come out.  So I ended it with “I am a match, I will be the donor, this is not up for discussion.”

After that I started working on our collections issue. I called the insurance company. When I finally got through, the person that answered the phone listened as I explained my problem. She told me I dialed the wrong department. She then proceeded to give the direct line phone number to the department I needed….which was the exact number I had called. What the…..so I asked her to transfer me…..to her own department…..the one I had called, directly. Oh boy.

Frustrated and overwhelmed I begged a lady at the insurance company to help me resolve some collections issues. I pleaded my case to her and she tried to pass me along to someone else. After I was placed on hold, she came back on and said she was, in fact, the person I needed to talk to. 😳 then I was worried that maybe she was insane in the membrane.

She actually looked into some things and did some digging. While nothing was resolved, I do think it is being dealt with. So I consider that a win.

I was finally able to get through and confirm that SSI received my paperwork. The lady in charge of my case is out of the office for a week or two and will get to it when she returns. Hopefully we can move forward with that.

Then I decided to make a pot pie for dinner. That felt good. That tasted good. 

Later, I went to grab something out of my room. That is when I saw kindness and love on my nightstand. Avery had written me a little note in the midst of my little breakdown, to lift my spirits. Wow! What a kid! I am keeping it forever.




Comments

  1. Yeah Avery !πŸ™‚
    Just what the Doctor ordered
    A dose of the best medicine -
    Love ❤️! You are appreciated
    for All that you do.
    But remember the Caregiver
    needs to take some time to
    Take in the Sunshine 🌞 and Smell the flowers 🌺 🌸 πŸ’
    for your Health and Well
    Being. as you continue on
    Ethan’s Journey !


    ReplyDelete
  2. Best note ever. I love this so very much. Her writing looks just like yours back in the day. You can do this and we're all here to help in any little or big way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avery was your shining light in a stormy day.
    You do seem to have mini to maxi lifelines each dayπŸ™πŸΌπŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, that was very sweet of Avery...she is the best!!

    You are doing the most amazing sacrifice/gift for your child...I think we all would if we could and we were able. You ended the conversation perfectly, Patti. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment