Skip to main content

7/14/21

Today was an official “day off”. I don’t really have a “day off” anymore. We had to get lab work, go to the bank and get gas. We arrived home and I printed out my documents for the DMV for my appointment. Then I worked on uploading documents to a scholarship portal for another scholarship that Ethan won. Woo hoo!

I hopped on my virtual donor appointment with my kidney donor coordinator. I learned that I will be in the hospital for about 2 -4 days. The first 7 days I have to really rest and stay off my feet. It will take about 4-6 weeks to heal from my surgical site and about 3 months for my remaining kidney to catch up. This means decent fatigue for about 3 months. This is because I will go from 100% kidney function to 50% function of my kidney’s cleaning ability until it starts picking up the slack from the missing kidney.

I also learned that there is a $50,000 fine if I sell my kidney on the black market. Seems like if I wanted to sell my kidney I shouldn’t be fined…..but whatever. 

I will also not be able to take any NSAIDS after they take my kidney as I have to be ultra careful and protect my kidney. This will prove to be the most difficult because in my profession, you live on coffee and NSAIDS. Sometimes I can incorporate yoga into my blood draws, nail trims, suture removals etc with some of the wonky positions I have to get in. 

He also asked me questions like “have you ever had sex for money?”

“Have you ever taken hardcore drugs?”

“ have you ever had sex with someone for money while on hardcore drugs?”

I told him my life is very boring but I could make up some crazy stories if he wanted me to.

I then drove to the DMV across the city (they had available appointments). What a seemingly terrible place to work. Many of the customers mostly awful and mean to the workers. To the point where they had multiple signs asking for people to be kind. 

I witnessed one lady have a crap attack after the DMV worker told her that they couldn’t move forward with whatever transaction because the lady didn’t bring the correct paperwork….so literally her own fault, and she left the building screaming obscenities at the worker and causing a huge ruckus. She clearly did not read the sign about kindness. 

I was able to get home for the appointment with my donor nephrologist that went on to say that my ibuprofen use is excessive (he worded it different) and while my kidneys are healthy as a horse, I will have to find alternate medications like Tylenol to help with pain. Tylenol was the only one that he said was kidney friendly. Normally Tylenol offers me as much comfort with back pain as drinking water does. So I am going to make the transition effective immediately. I may have to start doing more yoga and warm compresses.

I began the process of trying to collect all the documents needed for Ethan’s SSI meeting. “Certified copies” are needed for a bunch of different documents. Oye!

I also gave Paul the task of combing through FAFSA to find a parameter I needed to submit Ethan’s scholarship.

My toes have been neglected. I like my toes painted. Looking at painted and moisturized toes makes me happy. I normally do it myself but with the back pain I have had I wasn’t even going to attempt to paint them. Maybe once a year or so I get a pedicure. So today was my one time for 2021. I took Avery since we don’t get to spend much time together. We went to Spa at the Oasis, in Brockport, NY.  It was glorious. We got leg and feet massages and left with beautiful toe nails. It felt nice.

Ethan’s platelets have dropped again, so I have reached out to our local hematologist per the transplant team’s request. He is at 40. The low normal value is is 150. So there is concern there. We will get it turned around soon. Until then….no injuries or cuts for Ethan.

It has been a busy day but a productive day. I am thankful for that.






Comments

  1. Wow. You are my superhero. I'm so sorry you have to go thru this, but I absolutely 100% understand that moms will do anything it takes to make their kids better. I am prescribing only professional pedicures for you from now on. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that was your “day off”?... Ouf!! I was worn out from reading...I need to go back to bed now. lol

    Good to know I have a back up plan with my kidney for my million dollar, not really, copay for surgery if needed. One of these days I need to hear your answers to those ridiculous questions...I can only imagine!

    We have a pedicure bath, Patti. And Liv just roped me into going in halves for a gel nail kit. We will have a spa day! She can do your toes...notice I said “she”! 😆 I’m sure you’ll want to book an appointment before your hospital stay. Maybe Ethan will want his done too. I’m thinking green for both since that’s the color for kidney. The transplant team would certainly get a kick out of that....make sure I get credit for color choice. Haha!!

    You are doing the most selfless and giving thing a mother could ever do. I’m so happy you are the match to bring him back to all organs healthy after this. 💚

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment