Skip to main content

7/6


We had a leisurely day today. It was a little chilly. I gave Ethan dialysis in the morning while there was a light sprinkle going on outside.

My good friend from Middle and High school came to visit. It has been almost two years since we have seen each other. It was so nice to visit. She is the be of those people that you can pick up where you left off as if time hasn’t passed. A treasure in itself.

I spoke to Ethan’s teacher at MCC and discussed when the best time would be for Ethan to get his transplant that would least impact his coursework. We are thinking in the spring. I broke the news to Ethan. He is convinced it will be a 5 month ordeal and is worried. 

He is worried because we will be at different hospitals. He is worried that things will go awry (I wonder why?). He is worried that he is going to be without his team on 9 Tower. I told him that as soon as I can safely leave the hospital (it’s a block away) that I would come and stay with him. He then engaged his coping skill of napping to stop thinking about it.

I was posed the question today “how do you feel about giving up a kidney?” I thought about it and I am not worried. I am not upset. I am pumped to have the opportunity to share my spare. I am so thankful I am a match and can actively help. It is a means to get both of us some freedom and Ethan’s ticket to some normalcy. I am not really sure how I am supposed to feel. But I have good feelings towards it.

We went to dinner this evening. We sat outside to eat and got Ethan a pad for his boney butt. I saw a big sign on the door that said “Love for Lana”. It had a heart and a “donate life” emblem on it.

 I asked the owner about the sign. She began to tear up and told us that Lana is a local 15 year old that has just undergone a heart transplant in Boston. I pointed to Ethan and told her that he had undergone a transplant in November. She was in tears (which made me tear up) and she shared that the young girl’s Great Aunt was in the restaurant. We shared Ethan’s story and Lana’s great aunt came up and took a picture of Ethan to share with her recovering niece. It is kind of cool to connect with people on that level. To give hope and show people what kicking ass looks like.

We ordered an appetizer. It was “heron fries”. Basically French fried discs that you dip in blue cheese and/or gravy. Paul did not appreciate that Avery and I were dipping in the blue cheese first and then the gravy. He took the opportunity to “educate” us on a proper dipping technique. His face was hilarious as he grew upset that his gravy had blue cheese in it.


It was another good day. I love it.

Comments

  1. Your BFF has always had wonderful words of encouragement over these past 8 months. She has been spot on in so many ways. Glad you got to visit. It was great you all got to offer encouragement to another family experiencing a similar problem. We are always told to pass that help forward when we can. I'm with Paul. Blue cheese does not belong ANYWHERE close to gravy. Actually blue cheese does not belong anywhere period!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who put the blue cheese in my gravy?! who put the gravy in my blue cheese?! two great tastes that taste great together, Paul! ;)

    it's so nice to see you all connecting and relaxing. despite the trepidation over the next year, and what that might hold. I do commend Ethan's coping mechanism of taking a nap. I need to use that more often.

    I'm tearing up over you having a lovely visit with an old friend, picking up where you left off, but more over you being able to share your journey with Lana's family and friends. you are truly paying it forward and helping others. 💗💗

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww shucks....it was absolutely wonderful seeing you and the family! It made me so happy to reconnect and share some laughs in person. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment