Skip to main content

8/19

Today I felt accomplished. I was able to make some good progress on a project I am working on as well as secure Ethan’s SSI so he can start gaining some financial independence of his own. This was something I worked hard to secure for him. The amount of hours, frustrations and emotional highs and lows within this process have been bountiful. 

I still have some work to do but overall we at least have that secured for Ethan. We just have a few more short steps, papers to fill out and goals to reach before he gets his first payment. We have been working on this since February so I feel like it is a huge win.

Ethan is feeling a bit odd about being able to collect this benefit. I keep trying to explain that if he was a regular kid, he would have already had a job and been able to work to save for his future dreams. Because of nasty heart disease and now kidney disease, he was not able to be like everyone else. This will help him not fall too far behind so he can take off running.

I was explaining how this is a needs based program and he needs it. We are in the process of learning about the work incentives so that he can begin to work and ease back into a somewhat normal life for him. This is going to be a long haul and we are probably looking at another year of Ethan not being capable of pulling off the intense goals he has for himself. But there is no doubt that he will take off at some point.

I am thankful I have never had to learn about these programs before my 40’s. I am glad he was approved. A parents job is to set their child up for success. I feel like I accomplished that today. 

Comments

  1. It has been a long haul. Breathe.... Keep going ... one foot in front of the other. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have more than set Ethan up for success - you both are doing an excellent job. yes, breathe... and have a good, relaxing weekend 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! You have done a tremendous job figuring out all this really difficult stuff. I'm so glad your persistence is finally paying off. I'm so glad you had a great time at Green Lakes. We love it there too! The clubhouse food is so good and that pink drink looked amazing. You are triumphing...... keep going.... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work. I can't think of a more qualifying situation than this. It's just unfortunate you continue to have to go through so much red tape to get Ethan the help he deserves. Your persistence is literally paying dividends. You all continue to inspire.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment