Skip to main content

8/23/21

4:00 am s when the alarm went off. We had to leave early to make it to NYC for our first appointment. It was an easy drive for me, because Paul drove. 

We met with the surgeon’s today. We meaning Ethan and I for his surgeon. Only one parent per covid rules. 

I met with my surgeon later and brought Paul with me. I can’t imagine being in his shoes and not being able to be part of Ethan’s appointments. Stupid covid!

My appointment was fascinating. My surgeon showed me my ct results. In full detail! I got to see my cat scan of my body and vessels. My kidneys are beautiful and symmetrical.  Wow! Science nerd. They will be taking my left kidney and ureter. Apparently they take only a small portion of the ureter due to the blood supply. I mean I guess I won’t need it if it doesn’t connect to anything.

We are learning and are fine tuning our plan for transplant. I have never been so pumped for surgery (probably because I have never had surgery).

My surgeon paved the way for these surgeries to become laparoscopic. He is now working on a surgical robot to do suturing of delicate things like a ureter. I feel completely comfortable with him doing the surgery. I did feel odd though with him doing an exam on me with Paul watching. I was barely clothed. It was odd. 

Ethan is convinced that he wants the surgery right away. We still have to switch our insurance. More excessive work on my part. We also have to secure things at our jobs and make sure things will be ok with Ethan’s college. We have homework to do. 

Tomorrow we meet with the nephrologist. We keep requesting for Ethan to recover on 9 tower. So we will continue with that agenda until we are told otherwise (which we are told otherwise a lot but we aren’t quitting). I want Ethan to recover with people familiar with how he behaves if I am not able to be with him.

I know everyone says that kidney transplant is so much easier than heart transplant…but they don’t understand Ethan. He is unpredictable. I would love to think he will follow the rules but I expect him not to. I hope he will but……….

Ethan got to see his favorite nurse today. He was excited. He also got to see another few favorite people. 

He doesn’t know it yet, but I have set up a dinner for him tomorrow night with some of his favorite nurses. He will be so excited. All he knows is that Paul and I are taking him to dinner. A few of his faves will make an appearance.

Tonight Paul and I went to a local bar to have a drink. We had fun. We sat outside practically on the road. When I got back to the hotel I realized my fly had been down the entire time. Well that s fantastic.



I know you will be surprised to know that I ordered the margarita. It was delicious and very strong. Just the way I like them. It was a nice way to end the day.


Comments

  1. One foot in front of the other. keep going forward and find all of those bright spots like tomorrow night. It is good that Paul can be part of that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next chapter begins..... wow. You have such beautiful kidneys. It sounds like the start of a bad pick-up line. You, my friend are so inspiring. I am so glad that Paul is with you both on this NYC trip. I think it's so fantastic that you are keeping a relationship going with the nurses. That is so heartwarming. I truly hope this next surgery goes super, super smooth.... I am putting ALL good vibes out there. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment