Skip to main content

9/30/21

I woke up this morning crabby. Not about any particular thing, but just feeling grouchy. As the day progressed more and more things became glaringly annoying. Sounds, smells, gossip and even day to day friendly chatter was pushing me over the edge. 

I don’t like feeling this way. I can’t even stand myself. I almost think I just haven’t had enough down time to properly recharge my introvert batteries and it is putting me in a tailspin.

I kept finding more and more things to negatively grump about. Then I asked myself…..what was ANY bright side today? I was even annoyed with my own question. Who even cares?

Refocused on not wanting to feel this way, I posed the question again to myself.  It was as I was driving home from dropping Avery off at a school function that she was excited about. It is homecoming weekend. Tonight was the powder puff. The girls dress up in football gear, the juniors against the seniors.  The boys dress up as cheerleaders and cheer the players on. They also put on a half time show. I remember sitting on the bleachers and watching it all. 

There was so much traffic. The traffic pissed me off. It’s such a small town….why so much damn traffic? Then it dawned on me. I am part of this cool, small little community that gets excited about homecoming. 

I remember how exciting it was when I was in high school. Avery gets to share the same excitement as she sits with her friends and laughs at life. Tonight I know she will have had a fun time.

The traffic that is so annoying… it is other parents taking their excited kids to home coming. Being happy that their kids were coming together to cheer on their school and just being care free, unmasked teenagers for a minute.

This cheered me up significantly. So I am at least ending my day on a good note. I am feeling less annoyed.

When drove to pick Avery up I couldn’t  wait to hear all about her evening. She didn’t disappoint. She talked about seeing her teachers unmasked for the first time since covid. She really liked the half time routine of the powder puff. And the other bright side……today is over and tomorrow is a new day. I am including a picture of Avery tonight because she makes my heart smile.



Comments

  1. what a lovely picture of beautiful Avery! it was a fun time - I wish I had seen her! I wore my Ethan swag - the comfy warm hoodie since it was a chilly night. The cheerleaders (the boys!) were my favorite part of the evening. they did an excellent job! thank you again for the reminder to find joy in the little things, even when life seems so daunting and annoying sometimes. It really does bring perspective to our situations. 💗

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG..... you just brought me back to our Hilton H.S. days.... I just love that they still do homecoming and powder puff. That is so fabulous. Do they still create a HUGE bonfire? I'll never forget the size of our bonfire back then. It was raging high. Good times! It's strange to think.... but our homecoming experience just isn't the same in other communities. By the way.... you are totally allowed to be grouchy sometimes. It's alright.... we all have those days. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment