Skip to main content

11/14

As the days get closer, this is feeling more real. I am not worried about the surgery for Ethan or myself. We haves skilled and capable surgeons and nursing staff. I am more worried about catching something/covid and having to postpone the surgery (which will be devastating).

I am worried about Ethan getting his medications after surgery. Medication for his seizures or him having a seizure because his dosing will be different after getting a functioning kidney. I am worried he will throw curve balls if they push him too quickly.

All of my concerns will be voiced multiple times so everyone knows them. 

Ethan is stressed today. He doesn’t like these trips. He puts on a brave face but deep down is circling the anxiety drain. There is nothing I can say or do to help, so we just get through it.

We did dialysis and then got on the road. It was an overcast day, which made it feel like the ride was dragging on and on. There are less fall colors on the landscape than there was a month ago. 

Ethan and I listened to different unsolved murder cases on HLN on satellite radio. It made the time pass. It also made me think I went into the wrong profession and would totally enjoy forensics.

We FINALLY arrived. It was dark and the traffic was not appreciated the last 50 miles.

We ordered dinner and had the TV on. Having the TV on is such a treat. Ethan chose a paranormal show. 

I scheduled our Uber ride into the city tomorrow. Our first appointment is in the adult hospital (located behind the children’s hospital).

When the Grubhub order arrived, I got it to the hotel room and realized they had not included silverware.  So I went BACK down to the front desk. The guy behind the plexiglass, with a big stain on his sweater was 3 knuckles deep with his hands in his mouth, picking at something at his teeth. Eww! I asked for some silverware, he grabbed some plastic silverware packages and handed them to me with his mouth bacteria all over his hands. I carefully carried them up to the room trying not to get weird guy’s mouth funk also over my hands.

By the time I got to the room, I was convinced that all of the deadly bacteria on his hands was all over me and I was most certainly going to screw up our surgery date with the mouth bacteria. I started to harbor a grudge against this man. What a pig! I then realized the degree to which I was over reacting. I was able to get the silverware out of the bag, without it touching the outside of the bag….phew….we avoided Ebola. I then washed my hands furiously. 

We ended the evening with watching National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. A holiday classic! Bright side!!!!!

Comments

  1. I am glad you made it safe and sound and are settled in.
    And got to catch the best Christmas movie!
    ("You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant")
    Humor is a great salve. And you have plenty of it! Hang in there. Thinking of you and Ethan. Sending good vibes and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending ALL the soothing vibes in the universe to help you and Ethan cope with this next huge ordeal. Just keep thinking about ALL the humorous things you can. Christmas Vacation is one of our absolute favorites and there's just too many great lines. "Save the neck for me, Clark." You got this, you got this, you got this. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment