Skip to main content

🤬 1/11/2022

I decided if Ethan can’t eat after midnight, neither could I. We can both be grumpy together. We got ourselves ready and arrived to the hospital right on time, noon.

We were taken to surgery. SURGERY. What? This was supposed to be a “procedure”. Short and sweet, entering through his man parts, a quick tug and that’s it. Then they start talking about anesthesia. Ethan immediately shut down and refused to put the gown on. 

I asked for someone to come in and explain what was going to happen. Again, when it was explained to us, there was no sedation or anesthesia required. One nurse came in and tried to answer questions, but he was dancing around the questions and would say, “the surgeon can answer that.” Or “the anesthesiologist can answer that.” 

Well….go get them then. I felt very tense but remained kind as it was not his fault.

I get silly. Like I should have known there would be more. Maybe I should have asked more questions to manage our expectations better.

The nurse left the room and I feverishly emailed two of Ethan’s nephrologists. I was asking them if this is what was intended as we were under the impression (both of us remember) it being explained differently.

His nephrologist showed up within a couple minutes of me pushing the send button. That was so nice. They really do care. 

The anesthesiologist came in and we came up with a plan for a little propofol nap. Propofol is quick. So he will pop up and as long as he can go to the bathroom we can go home. He hasn’t had anything to really drink since yesterday. I asked for them to run his fluids wide open because he needed a good flushing. He likely is dehydrated at this point. 

Then we waited. An hour passed. We were told they were “behind”.  But Ethan’s turn would be “soon”. Ethan was pissed because he needs to work on more school work.

Then 2 hours passed. We sat hungry. Ethan has been unable to drink since last night, but has to keep his new kidney hydrated. Which didn’t happen. I explained my concern that Ethan has to be back tomorrow and needs to fast again tonight. The nurse apologized, but again, it wasn’t his fault.

Then 3 hours passed. Come on already. If this is supposed to take 5 minutes, what the heck. So I finally caved and went down to get something to eat. I was dying. I grabbed something for Ethan since he will only have a small window to consume the proper amount of calories today. Our butts and backs hurt from sitting in the uncomfortable chairs. I feel exhausted. I know I am also not drinking as much being away from the apartment. Had I known, I could have prepared better.

Ethan has started to get shakey from lack of food and water. This is the result of being short staffed. This is not the only medical facility that has fallen victim to this. 

4 hours came and went. I asked if we had been forgotten about. The nurse said “no” and that it would be at least another hour. Ugh! Another hour with a hangry Ethan. I can’t even blame him for being hangry.

4:50 rolled around. Ethan has not eaten since dinner last night and hasn’t had anything to eat or drink. Coming almost on 24 hours. So much for flushing his brand new kidney. What a shit show today has been. But they FINALLY took him back.

He was gone about an hour. He was quite loopy when he came back. He was also very talkative. He chowed down on Oreos, saltines and gram crackers. As they were discharging us, the nurse said “ oh looks like they made a scheduling mistake. They have him coming in tomorrow for a heart biopsy.” 

“That is no mistake. He has to fast again tonight.” She and the other nurse were shocked. Then the nurse said “we should have done him earlier so he could have gone home.”  WAS THIS A FLIPPING OPTION??????? I saw red. I was mad as fire.

After these procedures, I always get a survey to fill out. I have already started a document regarding scheduling, solutions to manage 5 hour wait times, and regarding expectations of their long term ill patients. It will go to the admins. The last time I did this, they came up with a system to monitor the cleanliness of their bathrooms more effectively.

As we were letting Ethan get de-propofoled, the nurse said “ the doctor is sending home some antibiotics.”

“Ok”. I said. Seems logical. They just ram rodded his urethra.

We called it in to such and such pharmacy.

“What? You don’t have a pharmacy here at the hospital?” Turns out they don’t. They called it into a pharmacy that I have no idea where it was. Somewhere in Manhattan.

“Can you call it into the pharmacy across the street?” I asked

Not for anything but I could have been using the 6 hour wait time to go to the pharmacy across the street.

“No that pharmacy closes at 6:00pm.” At this point it was 5:55 pm. Ugh! Really?????

I told her there is a pharmacy about 4-5 blocks from our apartment. I could walk there after Ethan gets back to the apartment. It is colder than a witch wearing a brass bra outside. Plus we have been hearing gun shots after dark the past few nights so I wasn’t really excited to walk that far alone.

I came up with an idea to buy me some time and get me until daylight. “Can you give him the injectable in his iv, then I can pick the pills up tomorrow morning before his appointment at the hospital?” Ding ding….that was the winner. That is what they did.

It was FREEZING at the hospital. At one point they gave me two heated blankets and I had my winter coat on. I also had insulated boots and big Woolley socks. Still freezing.

We finally left the hospital about 6:30. We prepared for a half hour stay and left 6 1/2 hours later. I am tired and thirsty, Ethan is sore and hungry and thirsty. Back at it again in about 14 hours. 

Ethan and I hated today. The bright side is that we are home. I am looking forward to sleeping the rest of this day away, snuggled under a blanket.



Comments

  1. it sounds like hospitals and airlines operate under the same business model - and typing that just now, it occurred to me that the root word in "hospital" is the same as "hospitality" - ha! what a joke! I'm glad i finally worked out and you were able to get out of that hellish day. Kicking hell in the balls again while wearing a brass bra! (you - maybe Ethan in brass boxers?!)
    One more day closer... best wishes for a better day Wednesday. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. I'm sorry it was such a day! I'll be thinking about you and hoping for a better day today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrible day you had yesterday! I'm glad that ordeal is over. I'm hoping today goes so much smoother. Final countdown.... final countdown...... time to get out of that city! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment