Skip to main content

4/14/22

Sometimes you have to just be proud of yourself. Today, was one day in a row that I didn’t lose my tiniest dog and have a panic attack. Excellent work Patti! I am sitting a little taller today.

After work this evening, I went to a retirement party for a veterinarian that took a chance on me a few years ago and hired me to help work at the shelter. At the time, I was trying to make extra money so our family could go on a two week trip of a lifetime. It took me a couple years to save up, but because of this opportunity, our family was able to go. I continued working there for another year afterward, because at that point, it just enjoyed working with the shelter crew.

It started as an extra job. It quickly became a little more than just a job. It was a place that showcased the dark side of some humans, with abuse they committed towards animals. There is always a bright side. It also introduced me to some pretty hard working, caring people that worked their butts off and helped those same animals. At the same time, I met some new friends and was having fun.

Like many, the shelter is how I acquired an extra dog, Penny, our most not smartest dog of all. I do love Penny. She is such a loving little dog. But a little lacking for smarts. Good thing she is pretty.

When I worked at the shelter, I had no idea how much I would learn. Not just about shelter medicine, also about documenting abuse cases, learning about the adoption process, learning how efficient you need to be, how to be thrifty, to spay and neuter all those animals. I also didn’t realize how much I would laugh there. I had fun with these people.

It is a thankless job. As I looked around the sea of faces, I was thankful that I was able to be a part of the community. I feel that it helped round me as a technician. Covid came, Ethan got more I’ll, so I eventually had to quit.

It was a fun evening. When life settles down, I hope to make my way back. Congratulations Dr. Newmark! I totally enjoyed working with you.

Comments

  1. it's the people we encounter along life's journey that help get us through the hard times and help us celebrate and see how sweet the good times are. it's so nice to see you are continuing to keep all of those ties. life is going back to a regular pace and you deserve it!
    have a wonderful journey this week. i'm certain you will meet and see new folks along the way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment