Skip to main content

6/12/22

There is no better feeling than seeing old friends. Seeing old friends, visiting the nostalgia of your memories together. I got to do just that. I attended an alumni event at SUNY Canton. 

It is a small campus, with a perpetual smell of cow manure. That seems gross, but somehow it is a calming and nostalgic aromatherapy. We call it “fresh Canton air”.

We seem to age, but the general vibe at SUNY Canton is the same as when we were 18 and 19 years old. It feels like no time has passed. People just become friends in the magical land of Canton. As more alumni events happen, we meet more and more people that participated in Canton’s Greek presence.

That is how I spent the weekend, with people I haven’t seen in years, people whom have supported our family along the way, and we never really got to properly thank them. People that you can pick up with, even if you haven’t seen them in 10 years. It is such a cool bond for us all.

I left Friday morning. I was the driver and start point of the adventure that was about to make us laugh until our bellies were sore. I stopped at the bank to do some adult business. Then it was off to relive my late teen college days in my 44 year old body.

I picked up Annette first, then Michelle. Quickly the car became full of inappropriate conversation and uncontrollable laughter as we relived weddings we had attended and different events we came together for over the last 25 years.

We stopped and picked up Jamie. He was the last member of our crew and we headed happily to what is usually a super fun weekend long party.

When we arrived, we immediately saw friends. We stayed on Campus in the dorms. It’s cheap and it supports the school. It is set up with a kitchen, two bathrooms a living room and 5 bedrooms. We each got our own room but shared a suite.

Friday was fun hanging out. The campus provides a shuttle to anywhere in the town with on call service. This provides safe rides home from the bar as well.

Saturday morning, my suite mates and I went and ate breakfast in the dining hall. The breakfast wasn’t overly great, but I never really appreciated how beautiful of a building the dining hall was. All knotty pine ceiling with tall windows and over looking the Grassee river. There is so much natural lighting.

We went and watched the fraternity play softball. It was fun to just butterfly around, catching up.

Saturday night my friend, Heather, made an appearance. This was great news for me. We are still partners in crime. We also seem to have a reputation (probably because of Heather).

When we go to Canton, it’s like stepping back in time. The hustle and bustle of everyday crap is interrupted by the distraction of a great time. There is really no responsibility except for yourself. It’s a carefree weekend.

We also had a realization that we all are going through something heavy. Whether it is a parent with cancer or dementia, loss of a loved one, children and grand children, everyone is experiencing some sort of hardship. To have a safe space to talk and give and receive support is priceless.

I can’t wait for the next weekend of fun. I have missed these ladies. I have not laughed so hard or so much since our last alumni event, 3 years ago.

This weekend felt so normal. As normal as it could…..

Fun fact: we didn’t let Heather drive us anywhere….because this is how she parked sober….she was so close to having it in the lines.


Happy Birthday Heather!❤️

Comments

  1. “If you can survive 11 days in cramped quarters with a friend and come out laughing, your friendship is the real deal.” – Oprah Winfrey
    You chose to spend a few days with these amazing people - true friends, for sure. And laughter is the best therapy ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia A DiiulioJune 13, 2022 at 9:27 PM

      It really is. I have been trying to see friends more often. Can’t wait to see you guys soon.

      Delete
  2. Hello! This is Darrlyn Moorer, I was Ethan's social worker at CHONY (and I also bumped into you at the grocery store in Harlem as I live in the neighborhood you & Ethan were staying at during your visit last winter). I love reading your blog to get updates on how Ethan's doing, it warms my heart and your humor really tickles me. It's also such a coincidence because I too went to college in Canton, NY but I went to St. Lawrence University so I can attest to the perpetual cow manure smell in the air. So many random connections! Hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course we know who you are ❤️❤️❤️. How are you doing? You had said (I think) that you went to private practice, I hope that is going well. Thank you for the kind words…..and yes…the manure smell can be overwhelming. We ate breakfast at the Meadows, do you remember that little diner? Still delicious. Ethan says hi. ❤️

      Delete
    2. Patricia A DiiulioJune 13, 2022 at 9:26 PM

      Not sure why it says “anonymous” but I wrote that…ha ha

      Delete
    3. I'm doing well and yes, you are correct. I went into private practice last fall and am loving it. And no, I don't think I actually eat at Meadows. Mostly because I was a broke college student so usually ate on campus or Sergie's when coming drunk from the TickTok :D Tell Ethan hello back

      Delete

Post a Comment