Skip to main content

1/1/2023

Avery is my first daughter. Her friend, Rachel, is my second daughter. I have been lucky to have met Rachel and get to know her over the past couple of years. She is quite the artist. She has a beautiful soul filled with kindness and love. She has blended so well with our family, I have wanted to keep her.

She made the most excellently executed Christmas card for me. I am not sure I could love it more! ❤️ 

I was able to almost finish the book I was assigned as part of my therapy. I read a very interesting section on teens and anger this morning. It laid out reasons why teens become angry and how miscommunications can lead to this situation. It actually made sense and I could connect several dots of how I, myself, have acted that may have made Ethan put up walls. It was quite interesting. I am close to being done with the book and I have a few sections I want to re-read.

My Sister-in-Law also found this interesting article about the stroke patients and how strokes change change their brains. Ethan’s stroke was on the right side and it can just add to the complexity of his actions these days.

Stroke Article

We celebrated our Christmas with our in-laws today. I was excited for a change in scenery. It makes the time pass and I can still be part of the conversation and visit. I do enjoy being around family. After the last few years it has become even more precious.

Paul and the kids loaded me into the van trunk and away we went. It is quite comical.

This is my view when I travel. It is quite exotic and fancy.

We arrived and I made a bee line for the couch where I parked myself for the rest of the day. Papa made his famous Christmas lasagna, with several thin and intricate layers of pure deliciousness of hand made noodles, gooey cheese and perfectly seasoned sauce blended together perfectly. It is divine. 

I ate mine on the couch, which I now am an expert at. When life gives you a challenge, you adapt. I have adapted well when it comes to making sure food gets into my belly. Paul made me put down a towel. He clearly has underestimated my precision aim, getting my food into my mouth without a trace of waste.

It was the best of both worlds. 

Then, something cool happened. Ethan stayed in the room with me to eat.  He started to open up a little. I communicated with him in the way the book suggested. We had a wonderful conversation about what his plans are for his trailer. He talked about wishing he was working more. He also was worried about the thought of taking on another job until things pick up more at the shop. He talked about projects he had was thinking about. I keep seeing these glimpses of Ethan in there.

He also was engaged in family conversation on the way home. He and Paul “belated” over car stuff on the way home. We all were. It was a fun ride home, mostly because it was me yelling at Paul for breaking too fast and having my head slam against the seat. He was also swerving and taking corners really fast. He says it wasn’t on purpose but I am not convinced. With all the grief I have given this man, it is his time to return the favor I suppose. Then the kids would laugh. We are an odd bunch.


Comments

  1. A true family celebration today with our family!! It was a great way to start the
    New Year watching the family enjoy Papas “Famous Lasagna” as well as interacting , laughing and enjoyinh time together .
    Patti lying flat on her back and Ethan staying with her in a very caring way..
    What a Blessing to watch Ethan gave back to Patti in her time of need !!
    A New Year Blessing 🙏🙏 !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you and your family Patti. I reread your post from december 31st of 2020 (Ethan broke Janis). This post today is truly wonderful. With your family intact you are moving forward. Love the Jiminy Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year my friend! I'm so glad you got out of the house and had some quality time with the whole family. Rachel's card is unbelievable. Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment