Skip to main content

1/7/23

We received an Email from Ethan’s donor family tonight. This has been the highlight of our year so far. I can’t imagine how rough the holidays are for them. Nicole passed away right before Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2020. 

I am so warmed by them reaching out. They said that Colie or Cole as they fondly call her, had a need for speed and spent a lot of time on 4 wheelers and things that go fast. 

Her dad is big into Toyotas. She was a big hugger, which is funny because for a while Ethan was hugging everyone. Calling them in his room and hugging them.

It is so heartwarming to hear about her and what she was like. I have read about muscle memory and recipient’s taking on some mannerisims of their donors. It has never been proven 100%, but I do believe there was some sort of change that I saw.

Ethan didn’t want to be present for me reading the email. He didn’t want anyone watching him for a reaction. He is so guarded with his feelings. I emailed the letter so he could read and process it in his own time. I am curious to know what his thoughts are. I will ask him in time.

Today I only saw him when I asked him to go pick up his prescription at the pharmacy. Maybe tomorrow. He stays away from us mostly. I try to check in on him without being over bearing, like my therapist said.

As I lay my head down to sleep tonight, with Jiminy at my side, I am grateful Ethan has the privilege of housing such a cool person’s heart. I am thankful to Colie and her family every single day!




Comments

Post a Comment