Skip to main content

5/24/23



I made schupfnudel tonight for dinner. I didn’t actually make it from scratch, I bought it as a premade-warm it up in the pan- mix. It was cheese and pickle schupfnudel. It sounded so interesting. Schupfnudel is like an oversized gnocchi in southern Germany and Austria. It was really good and there were no leftovers.

I struggled with the pronunciation. So I said it was similar to gnocchi. Well….I can’t say that word correctly either. Avery had a lot of fun making fun of me for it. I did an American and Italian pronunciation on Google and still struggled. She and Paul were laughing at me as I tried to practice. I told her I wasn’t going to buy gnocchi or anything that rhymed with it because I mispronounce it so terribly. I swear kids really build up your self esteem. It was a fun conversation. I decided that I excel at other things.

I finally was able to get through to NYC to schedule Ethan’s next biopsy. I reiterated multiple times that we had to be the first appointment of the day. I hope it works!

I tried to set up nephrology, echo, ekg and cardiology appointments but those are done by separate people now that our appointment coordinator has retired. Ugh! I also have to make sure that the echo person is t a student as Ethan has no patience for that. That is hard to do tactfully. 

Tomorrow we have a meeting with hematology to discuss treatments and how they are working. Weird thing is, they didn’t have us go for blood work ahead of time. I wasn’t emailed orders ahead of time. I feel like we should have been for it to be a productive appointment, but they should have established checks and balances for scheduling appointments right? We will just roll with it tomorrow. I am not really concerned with Ethan’s CBC or clotting risk at this point. 

Some days I don’t have the energy to stay on top of all of these doctors and I will save that energy for the appointments that it really counts for….like the biopsy. That appointment I go out of my way to make sure it is smooth sailing. Win some, lose some.

I also asked Ethan if he would do some of the driving when we go to NYC. He has always been anti-driving and miserable. Since he has been a little more himself, I told him it would be helpful if he drove, so I could work. 

We made a deal that he would help with the driving on Tuesday but would rest on Wednesday after his day long appointments. I don’t think that is out of line. If they were  threading a catheter in my neck vein and advancing it into my heart to take a little chunk of it (without sedation or anesthesia) I wouldn’t want to drive a vehicle for 6 hours after that. 

Jiminy was dropped off at Ethan’s room tonight on my way to bed. Penny was being super cute, so she got to come to bed with me. I hope I don’t regret it. We have been sleeping with the fan in the window blowing arctic air from the tundra, infused with boat loads of pollen we are allergic to…..why? Apparently we like waking up congested. The cold air is so refreshing to sleep in!

Penny promptly burrowed under the blankets and snuggled right in.

She was a little miffed that I removed the covers to take a picture of her. Her resting bitch face was not well hidden. She makes me laugh.




Comments