Skip to main content

8/29/23

 I had a hectic schedule this morning since the original appointment I made for Ethan’s MRI was rescheduled for a later time (last week they called me to reschedule, even thought this appointment had been made several months ago) for today. They called me to reschedule my 8am appointment for 11:00am. This last minute change threw a wrench in my work schedule. Ethan had to take the day off and it overlapped my afternoon plans. Totally annoying.

When we arrived, they put Ethan into an exam room. The way they phrase the screening questions sucks because we have to answer a lot of things incorrectly.

For example: Have you had a pacemaker/defibrillator placed?  Yes or no.   The answer is yes, but there was no place to indicate it had been removed with transplant. So that had to be it’s own discussion. 

Have you received dialysis?   Yes….but not anymore since the kidney transplant. But there is no spot to indicate that. So each item had to be confirmed and reconfirmed. 

Do you have a history of seizures? Yes

Have you ever been renal compromised? Yes

Have you been in end stage renal failure? Yes

The list went on and on and then we had to explain each answer. I understand it was to be thorough and I appreciate that. It did delay things a bit.

Then it was time for the IV. Ethan has the most beautiful veins, displayed nicely just laying under the skin, and visible from the moon. This lady jabbed, with force, the needle and completely went under the vein. She then be an “fishing” and readjusting the needle to try and get it to go into the vein. I watched in horror as I could imagine all of the cutting of tissues being done by waving that needle around half hazardly under the skin. I realized I was making a terrible face and had to look away as I was trying to fathom…how did she miss that? She was finally able to thread the catheter into his vein.

When she finished the set up, I noticed that she didn’t apply a clamp and his access line was backwashing with blood. When I mentioned it to the nurse, she brushed it off as no big deal. Human medicine and animal medicine are just not the same. I really feel like animals get better health care sometimes.

The MRI went well and we will get the results next month. 

Afterward I made plans to go to Sea Breeze with Sarah. We rode a whole bunch of rides including Tilt-A-whirl.

Tilt-a-whirl is my ultimate favorite ride. It didn’t disappoint. We laughed and laughed. We did a lot of people watching. 

My favorite was an overly muscular man (grotesquely muscular) with the shortest shorts ever and a small tank top. He was very tan and reminded me of someone from the Jersey Shore. His thighs were so big it impeded the way he walked. He was leaping over the corrals that you wait in for rides like he was doing his P90X workout routine. The funniest part was his hands were the smallest hands. They didn’t even go with the rest of his body. You could tell he thought highly of himself.


When I arrived home, we had a surprise guest in the house. Avery came home for a little bit to visit. She was telling us all about her classes, room mate, dining hall experiences, clubs she was going to join. She stayed for a few hours and then headed back. She is really enjoying herself. She is excited to join the physics club. 

It was nice to see her and give her a big hug. A perfect way to end the day.




Comments