Skip to main content

9/20/2023

My mom had back surgery today. It was almost the same surgery as I had in January. My role was to be the driver. I don’t want to brag, but I got her there safely.

Gene went in and stayed with her until they took her to the operating room. She had to arrive for surgery at 2:15 pm. Nothing to eat after midnight….they wanted her nice and hangry.

I sat in the main lobby waiting room. Wow! The people watching was epic. Human behavior is interesting. There was one guy blasting his rap music on his phone, because apparently he has never heard of ear buds. Why does one assume that everyone enjoys their music? The lack of awareness is amazing.

Another guy was on the phone with someone and was yelling out his credit card number.

One poor lady fell on her way out of the hospital and they came and took her back in. I felt bad for her. That had to be scary as it was quite chaotic.

One man was loudly discussing his wife’s infection and her bowel movements girth, texture and viscosity. He had a slight stutter which made it more difficult to listen to.

The people around us started trauma bonding and chatting with one another. I am too introverted for that. Gene and I had nice conversation though and I enjoyed that.

They finally took my mom in for surgery around 5:15. She finished a few hours later. We got to both go up and visit with her. I could feel my protective side creeping in as I was trying to stay patient while the nurse was firing off one question after another about my mom’s pain level prior to surgery when all she wanted was to go to the bathroom.

I understand procedure and protocol, but geez, let the lady go pee! She just had several liters of fluid!

She was feeling light headed after her bathroom trip. I think she was exhausted. I was really proud of her because they came in to give her, her medications. She questioned what they were giving her. She takes a medication for blood pressure in the mornings. They tried to give her another one this evening….after her light headedness. That would not have helped. She caught it. Way to go Mom!

We loaded her up back in the bed and tucked her in. It was a long day for her and I am hoping her new back gives her much relief.




Comments

  1. Your mom was in great hands with Gene and you are her patient advocate. Quick healing to you, Charlene!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment