Skip to main content

10/22/23

I woke up feeling like hot garbage. My ears were plugged, throat was swollen and sore and my head hurt. Oh boy! I have the dreaded ick from traveling. I did panic a bit as I was thinking about wearing a mask for the 6 hour drive in the car. But it doesn’t stop there, we are sharing a hotel room. Ugh! Sleeping with a mask on, AGAIN. At least it is only for one night.

Avery joined me and I cautioned her to stay away. We chatted about her choosing her classes for next semester. Ethan then came down and we were commenting about silly things the dogs were doing, what was in the news and other trivial non-sense. They were having their brother and sister teasing time.

Ethan was complaining that his eye was bothering him. He got a sliver of metal in his eye. It must have ricocheted under his safety glasses. He has a small dark mark on his eye which you can see in the photo. His eye is red and a little bit swollen. The eye is irritated but he can see ok. 

We were talking about what he should do and we had him call urgent care. He HATES calling places. He asked me to help him. We looked up the number and he called, told the person what was happening and got advice as to who to call. Seems like a pretty simple step, but this is HUGE! All of these little growths have paved the way for me to see and appreciate how far he has come.

Urgent care didn’t even want to touch him, so we had to call an on-call ophthalmologist. This guy was like talking to a puddle of mud. Very dry and non-empathetic. Ethan was told he could go to the ER (ewww! There is sick people there) or get an appointment first thing in the morning. I was so proud of him that he made this call!

Ethan chose to go in the morning. He had to give all his information. Ethan has never made an appointment like this by himself. This is part of his growth process. Wow!

Ethan did ask me later if I would go with him tomorrow (I had already blocked off my schedule). Having this remote job allows for me to be able to do this. I am so thankful for that ability.

Ethan and Paul have been working well together on a project which makes me happy for them.

I laid low, stayed away from the immune compromised kid and rested. My head hurt, body was tired and throat felt like crap. My ear feels like there is so much pressure in it. I did lots of drinking (water and tea), napped and gave love to the dogs. 

I am going to bed early with the expectation that I will sleep like crap. I am just looking forward to escaping from the head pressure I have for the next few hours, while I sleep. Of all the weeks…I just HAD to get sick when I have to spend so much time with Ethan in a confined space. 



Comments