Skip to main content

10/23/23

 I woke up feeling a little better. I still have a scratchy throat and a heaviness in my chest. Masking up for sure! I don’t want to pass this along to anyone.

What a week for Ethan. This morning we went to the eye doctor. What a change now from a year ago. A year ago he would have been angry, difficult to be around and even rude to the staff.

Today, he was pleasant in the car on the way to the doctors office. He had educated himself prior to the appointment and watched videos on what they were going to do to remove this piece of metal.

We made our way to the appropriate floor and checked in. There was no complaining about what a waste of time this was for him. This is a positive change. He was talking and had a positive attitude. He was polite to the doctor and even smiled multiple times.

We revisited the fact that his vision isn’t the best in his right eye and could benefit from glasses. When this was brought up in 2021, he was NOT going to wear glasses. Today he was open to the idea and even considered what would look good on his face.

He sat there while they used a vibration instrument and spoon type instrument to work the metal out of the eye and scoop it out. All the manipulation made his eye quite sore. The piece of metal has started rusting. He was out in eye drops and will go back on Thursday for more vibration and scooping/extracting. He thanked me multiple times for going with him. He recognized that it was taking time out of my day. This is also a big shift. However, I would have taken (and will continue to take) time out of my day whenever he needs it. 

He came home and I convinced him it was ok to take the day off. What he went through was traumatic and his body needs to heal. He fell asleep on the couch surrounded by furry little friends.


Tonight as I said good night, he said “one day down, three to go.” This is a positive change as well! I feel like I am getting my kid back. My heart is warm tonight with pride with Ethan’s personal growth. 

No one ever tells you how long healing is. It has been going on 3 years. It will continue to go on. I guess that’s why they call it a process. 

Comments

Post a Comment