Skip to main content

11/17/23

 I woke up this morning feeling so much better. I talked my nurse into bringing me coffee. She even made a new pot so I didn’t have to drink yesterday’s sludgy coffee. She doesn’t know it but we are friends for life.

I logged onto my computer and played catch up with work. The colo-rectal fellow popped by and said that they wanted to keep me for a few more days. Eww! I really advocated to go home today. I felt much better. But he wanted to be “cautious”. 

We will see where my advocating gets me. I am only on Tylenol for pain, and the pain is much less than yesterday.

When they brought me my breakfast, I was surprised they brought solids. I confirmed with my nurse it was ok to eat solids and they said yes. So I happily drank more coffee and had a pancake and yogurt. Then I was full. If I can keep that up, I can reach my weight loss goals ha ha.

At 10:00 the nurse finally came in. I asked her when my next dose of antibiotics was. She said 6 pm. Ugh! I don’t want to wait until then. I am hoping that they recheck my CRP (the inflammation blood test) this afternoon and it starts trending down. I really feel pretty good today and would love to manage this at home, where I can shower and be around my little furry friends and people that can help me quickly if need be.

The CRP came back even more elevated BUT my white blood cells were going down. I was able to plead my case to leave. I got my discharge papers and had to stop at the pharmacy. I was excited to get to the car so that I could take a shower. Yay!!!!!

I was within 20 feet of the door to exit when we were swarmed by security and lights were flashing with an announcement saying the hospital was on lockdown. 

Because I love gossip that I am not involved with, AND I am aware of active shooters, I decided to position myself behind a pole out of direct line of fire, but so I could hear the security people talking about what was going on.

Apparently there was a “suspect” that they had on camera doing something that wasn’t good. It was called in to 911 by someone that wasn’t on the security team. Wow! This could be my own dateline episode and I wasn’t disappointed to be part of it. So that was how it was first presented.

Because I apparently look non-threatening, with my unshowered bed head look, all the police officers and security people later had a huddle within arms length of me. I felt like I could have joined in. Of course I was rubber necking pretty hard to eavesdrop. 

There is a suspect that matches the description of a recently terminated employee that could be disgruntled. He was seen with a long gun and a back pack. He had threatened his boss at the time of termination that they would be shot.

He was outside. Camera’s were being reviewed to track his whereabouts. They eventually tracked this guy in “stairwell B”, wherever that is. Ohhh exciting AND is sounds far away so that I am not in danger. A bunch of police and security people ran to “stairwell B”. One guard stayed and guarded the door to make sure that no one entered or left. There was a period of time that went by.

There was a poor nurse that just ended her shift that was trapped next to me. She was very upset by this situation. She said “this is what I get for going to work today.” 

I have now pretty much deemed myself as part of this investigative team, with the criteria of being close and over hearing them talking. They could have been saying fake news and I would have eaten it up.

Then a cop came rushing in from outside and hurriedly asked where the operating room was. I was trying to listen  to if the suspect was headed in that direction. The cop was sprinting toward the elevators that would take him to the operating room. 

One of the security guys said quietly to the other guy. “We got him”. And shortly thereafter the lock down was lifted.

I figured this had to have made the news. Their reporting was vague and deemed a phony phone call. But man, I heard what I heard. It caused mass confusion and delay.

This is why I like the solitude of country living. 

I am thankful that with such an exciting event that resulted with no injury. I am thankful I am feeling better and I get to sleep in my bed.




Comments