Skip to main content

11/21/23

 3 years ago, about this time, they wheeled Ethan off to surgery. We had no idea he was going to have to fight for his life, multiple times. I had no idea how it would change our lives forever. I just remember trying to sit with him beforehand watching funny videos of animals to lighten the mood. We were both nervous.

I am a firm believer that everything bad happens for a reason. We may not understand it or trust it. It’s there for a lesson in some way. Time usually will show us why, but sometimes you just never know.

Ethan’s horrific ordeal brought me a sense of strength that I didn’t know existed. It taught me to be more of an advocate. It taught me to trust my gut even more. It pulled  Avery and Paul closer. It taught me that in those dark moments of despair to look for something positive, even when I didn’t want to. 

We didn’t know her name at the time, but Nicole saved Ethan’s life. Nicole’s generous gesture of organ donation, not only saved Ethan, but several others as well.

Nicole arrived late to the surgery. It wasn’t her fault. Ethan’s heart had already arrested and was removed altogether, placed on a machine waiting for his new heart to arrive.

Nicole was finally moved into her body and was quite tired after her traumatic journey. Nicole and Ethan weren’t synching right away. They had to rely on each other or neither would survive.

Today I hold Nicole and her family in my heart. They said goodbye to their beloved daughter/sister. We have welcomed her into our family. Ethan has been giving her some good thrills on his 4 wheeler, go-cart, car…

I am thankful that Nicole said “yes” to organ donation. I am thankful she likes her new body of armor. I am thinking of our donor family today, as they lost their Nicole. 

Ethan on his way to his heart transplant. I can’t believe it has been 3 years he has been “kicking ass”.



Comments

  1. this brought tears to my eyes. and wow, three years went by fast, but felt long. Nicole lives on in Ethan 💗

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot to be thankful for. 3 years! He is stepping back from the "dark side" and really embracing his journey forward. You taught me to look for the "bright spot" and I am thankful for you~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment