Skip to main content

4/23/24

 I slept well over night. I got up at 4:00 am and started to work. I worked until a little after 8:00 am and then started to feel off. I laid down and took a nap. I felt like a dog napping so early. Well it did the trick, I felt fine the rest of the day. I am glad I was able to take the time to rest. I feel like it was my body’s temper tantrum from the lack of sleep on Sunday/Monday

Paul asked Ethan to clean the garage. This is a fun little tug of war that they play, which traditionally is no fun at all. Paul was having people over and needed a clear path to the beer fridge. That is not too much to ask in his own garage.

Our garage looks like a bomb of car parts and tools went off. Woven between tools and parts on the floor is a healthy layer of garbage, empty boxes, packaging material from car parts and filth.

I asked Ethan today to make sure that he picked things up as it was important to Paul. Paul was running late and I never checked Ethan’s work because he is an adult and can typically follow directions.

Paul pulled in the driveway and two people were already at the house. He went to go open the garage. As the door slowly lifted, it revealed a beautifully cleaned floor that looked amazing. He immediately ran in the house and yelled up to Ethan. “Hey Ethan….the garage looks f*cking awesome!”

These little moments are popping up more and more. I peaked around the corner of Ethan’s door and made eye contact with Ethan. I repeated the last 2 words. Who doesn’t giggle when they hear their mom use the F word? He had a small grin appear. I thanked him.

Another little moment that was a big moment. A sign of maturity and even respect. I was proud of Ethan that he chose to do the right thing. There was no fighting, no arguing and no hurt feelings. I get caught in the middle and try my best to be as objective as possible. It was nice to have the gift of peace.

Ethan has his transfer renal transplant appointment in the morning. I took the day off to deal with the stress and exhaustion of the appointment. I do kind of feel like I am in an interrogation when o go in there and have to recount all of his history starting from when he was born. 

When I have to start listing surgeries….it gets muddy. He had 3 surgeries and a tracheal wash by the age of 5. To go on from there…let’s just say, the last appointment was a little over 3 hours.

It will be nice to go to dinner at my favorite restaurant tomorrow night to celebrate our 25 th anniversary with my mom and Gene. Having that dinner excitement will get me through the day. 

Then Jiminy has an appointment for vaccines Thursday and Ethan has an appointment Friday. Busy week. I look forward to meeting up with Ethan’s ICU nurse for breakfast on Sunday.

I will be forever grateful to her knowing how much she took care of Ethan. She was such a gift to us both.

Comments

Post a Comment