Skip to main content

2/22 8:20 pm

3 am. I woke up to hearing Ethan call my name. His voice is faint and weak. I had ear plugs in and was in a deep sleep. His stomach was off. “Get the bucket”.

I had the nurse immediately go get the second “rescue” nausea medication. He wretched and spit for a bit. Then settled after getting medication. Back to sleep.

Ear plugs went in. Back to sleep for me, until I hear my name being called. I jumped up at an alarming rate and scared the anesthesiologist. It was 7 am and they wanted to take Ethan as the first patient of the day in the cath lab. The anesthesiologist profusely apologized. I told him I just startle easily and not to worry. 

We went over all the risks, blah blah blah, sign your life away. 

Ethan had worry colored all over his face. He was worried about getting sick. He was worried it would hurt. He was worried. I couldn’t tell him it would be ok because with Ethan’s history....one never knows.

One of Ethan’s tower 9 nurses stopped by this morning.  She had found a little spirit booster and thought of him. They were a pair of socks that said “I am going to open a can of kick ass”. He wanted to put them on for the cath lab.


Everyone in the cath lab loved Ethan’s socks. We got word that Ethan’s pressures in his heart were normal and his lungs. We will get the rejection results in a few days. Ethan said the cath lab wasn’t too bad. He was talking to them the whole time. So now we just need to battle the blasted kidney failure.

Ethan was acting more like himself today. He was up most of the day, he did his PT with a bucket under his chin because he was nauseous but was “pushing through it”. He would do something, wretch and spit doe a minute and then continue. No lack of drive. He is a savage beast that will only accept forward for an answer. Ultimately he was unable to do a lot but he did something....which is more than I would do if I were nauseous.

Ethan’s appetite is better, if this continues we will be back on track to go to HD dialysis soon.

Ethan rested this afternoon and visited with another friend from 9 Tower who comes to visit. She is my therapy. She brought me some comfort goodies and I totally appreciated it. It is nice to chat with someone and have company. It put a smile on my soul’s face. I am so thankful for the support we have gotten from people near and far.

Ethan watched the office for a bit. He had some cheese pizza for dinner. He also had some smoothie. No withdrawal for once. He was a bit sore from the cath lab but not terrible.

Ethan had his full bath and sheet change all before 8:00 pm and was tucked into bed and fast asleep. I am going to bed early too. This morning was an early morning and I still had some sleeping to do. Hopefully I can catch up tonight.

Comments

  1. I love the socks. I'm happy you have people there that support you, and I'm proud of Ethan for pushing through!

    I hope you have a great night and a better day tomorrow. 🌻🌻🌻

    ❤💛❤💛❤💛❤💛❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Dreams to both of you! I love those socks! Sounds like Ethan is working towards getting back on track. You guys are a Dynamic Duo! Love you Both

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you guys both had a busy day. So happy to hear his pressures are normal in his heart and lungs. I don’t know how he pushes through what he does but I’m so proud of him for the strength he has

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those socks, they are perfect. Great news on on the pressures on his heart and lungs. Ethan you are a trooper pushing through PT feeling like that. So proud of you.
    Patti, I’m glad you have support there. Obviously we are all here for you but to be able to talk to someone “mask to mask “ is what you need.
    Both of you sleep well tonight. I pray for a better day tomorrow for Ethan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The people there need to go into the book you're going to write. Keep notes about all of them. There are so many good ones! We call them "Ground Angels"... they're the folks who rally around even past the initial problem/diagnosis/disaster, etc.... who annoyingly do nice things so you realize the world isn't a wretched place because you're loved. I love that the hospital is swimming with Ground Angels! :) Jot down the weird notes, too.... food disappearing, the elevators on Sabbath, the bathrooms (which still amazes me.... I mean like really, really, really amazes me.) But the good thing is having you right there with the brat! I love that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the socks are perfect - both you and Ethan have been through a case of Kick Ass! and more to come! Good news on the pressure levels. Raise a can of Kick Ass and toast to a good day to come with more little victories for Ethan! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Patti! I have had my heart transplant for 32 years now and am also an RN, who is currently the full-time momma to two teenage boys. I have been following your blog and praying for Ethan’s FULL recovery for a few months now. I am curious is Ethan is on an immunosuppressive medication called Cellcept? If so, this one is famous for causing GI upset. There is an enteric-coated version of the same medication called Myfortic that made a huge difference for me with both my appetite and nausea. I am available if you ever need the support of a fellow transplant recipient. Go Team Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first name is Jamie, by the way!

      Delete
    2. Can you please send me an email....diiuliowork@gmail.com

      I would love to ask you a few questions 😊

      Delete
  8. THOSE SOCKS...perfectly fitting for Ethan!!! I mean...Pt with a bucket and nausea...that kid is kickin ass every day!!!!
    Happy to hear pressure for lungs and heart are good. Praying for no rejection and continued request for withdrawal to subside soon.
    I hope you got some good sleep and today is a great day with many bright spots ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment