Skip to main content

7/25/22

 Poor Avery. We went to the doctor’s today. She was quite painful from her cyst/abscess. She didn’t work today because she was so uncomfortable.

We get to the doctor’s office and they put us in this room we have never been in before. It was clear this room was used for wounds, injuries etc.

The doctor came in to assess the situation. She discussed options with us and told us that it was called a pilonidal cyst. She referred us to a plastic surgeon in the event that it does not go away. In the interim, she asked Avery if she wanted the cyst drained.

Brave Ave said “yes”. She really is a tough kid. She wanted some relief.

The doctor had a white shirt on.  She decided it would be best to put a protective gown on because she has had these things “spray” at her before. I was so excited to watch. I know that sounds twisted, but I stick my finger up Dog’s and cats butts…..for work of course….so nothing really grossed me out (except those ropey dog drools).

This doctor put on a face shield. She had me sign a two page consent giving permission to lance it. The entire time I was thinking, I should have done this at home. 

The doctor said she was going to get a nurse to help her. I convinced her that I was quite capable of helping. This is a newer to use doctor as their pediatrician has recently retired, within the past month. Boo. We will miss her.

It was pretty sore when the lidocaine was injected. Avery did some controlled breathing to get through it. I was so proud of her.

Then, the doctor just inserted the staple blade. It was gone, hidden in her skin.  Stuff came out of the cyst like hot lava from a volcano. It was really cool. 

Avery has to take an antibiotic for a bit. Hopefully it will resolve, but it sounds as if this will continue to come and go. Her antibiotics were sent over to the pharmacy. 

Ethan returned home today between 8:30 and 9. He had so much fun but was so tired. I am so happy that he was a normal kid. I think he is too.

It was eventful but a good day.

Comments

  1. Well, I had mine removed years ago. I was told it was a residual "tail" so can understand your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Pimple Popper would have loved this! I'm glad it's resolved and Avery is getting relief. And my heart is happy knowing that Ethan had an awesome time and is home safe :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment