Skip to main content

10/29/23

Paul and I slept in today. It was much needed. My nose wouldn’t stop getting plugged and causing me to have over the top sneezes like my dad used to do. They would echo through the neighborhood. 

Avery and I did chores together. She was a big help. This afternoon I did pretty much nothing. I sat on the couch, alone with my thoughts, recuperating from last week. 

Ethan, his buddy and Paul did more man things in the garage. It was a productive day but also a lazy one as well. I had good intentions of checking my work email, but I didn’t. I am not sorry about it either.

I listened to a podcast on emotional intelligence and acknowledging/validating feelings. It is for the leadership program I am involved in over the next year.

It basically went into how to recognize, understand and express your acceptance of another person’s feelings. This can help create a space for them to process their emotions without the worry of being judged.  

We all hide our feelings. Every day. How many times have you been asked “how are you today.” And you answered back “good, how are you?” But you weren’t good? We have learned as a society to fear sharing how we are really doing.

Now this is not to say you have to share your entire life story with someone. But it might create a better space if you answered honestly. “I am feeling pretty anxious today.” It opens the door to conversations and let’s people gauge where things stand. It will be something I will have to work on. I am pretty protective of my feelings. It is good to think about it and decide how and when to apply it.

So if you ask me how I am doing and I answer “good”, don’t let me get away with it. 

Comments

  1. I remember those loud sneezes of your dad's fondly. 💗

    ReplyDelete
  2. His sneezes were over the top! Canada could hear them! 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment