Skip to main content

1/19/24

 Avery had the start of her conference today. She took the car and was quite nervous. It is scary showing up somewhere and you don’t know anyone.

She does suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. It was starting to get the best of her before she even left. She was convinced the day was going to go poorly and everyone would think she is an idiot.

She had looked at the roster and realized she was the only freshman at the conference. There was one sophomore and the rest were juniors, seniors and professionals.

We needed to “reframe it.” The term I learned in NYC in 2020 by a student psychologist.

“Signing up for a conference is a sign of the desire for growth. You don’t need to have all the answers. You figure it out as you go along. Some things go well, some don’t. You just learn and move on.”

Tomorrow I will drop her off. I made lunch plans with a friend I haven’t seen in years. A sorority sister from college. I drop her off in the morning and pick her up around 8 pm. I imagine she will be exhausted.

I started climbing out from under my horrific email situation at work. I plan to work through the weekend to make up for the missed opportunity for pre-screening candidates. 

I will have some comp time coming my way! Woo hoo! I just got word that I am going to be working another conference in Ohio next month. I liked doing that. I look forward to it.

Comments

  1. She will have a blast! Every conference I went to was such a boost and got me thinking in new ways. Its the fear of the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She totally loved it. I think she walked away with so much more than she expected too! Even the social aspect she was able to grow outside of her comfort zone.

      Delete

Post a Comment